DT Zach Clayton trying to get noticed on defense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

TAMPA, Fla. Heading into training camp, Titans defensive tackle Zach Clayton knew it wouldn’t be hard to get lost in the shuffle with a deep group at his position.

So he’s done everything possible to stand out, and so far, it’s working.

Clayton had one of the team’s two sacks against Seattle in the preseason opener last week, and another pressure. He hopes to keep it going tonight here against the Buccaneers.

“I’m just trying to show up in practices and games and working as hard as I can to try and put up some numbers,’’ said Clayton, a seventh round draft pick out of Auburn in 2011. “My thing is just keeping after the plays. The one sack was not giving up on the play. I just want to put some good stuff on film and help make it a tough decision.”

Clayton, who played in three games in 2011, is one of four defensive tackle drafted by the Titans the past two seasons. Jurrell Casey and Karl Klug were a part of his draft class last year, and the Titans picked Mike Martin in the third round this year.

Clayton feels he’s better equipped to compete this year.

At 305 pounds, he’s five pounds heavier. He’s also stronger, having improved on his 315-pound bench press from a year ago. He did 15 at the start of camp this year, compared to “12 or 13” reps a year ago.

“I am just kind of taking it in stride,’’ Clayton said. “Having some work during the offseason, the OTAs, definitely helped out my game, just getting that one on one time with coaches and being able to work on some technical stuff. Hopefully I can have some success.”

Source: Titans Insider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar