Dubai - Up and coming

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Geez... my brother in law gets shipped over there in a few months, too.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

first off, I'm not sure I ever bought anything Bush said, ever. I simply do not care for the man, at all. However, this is NOT about Presidential politics. I'm not rolling out some vast conspiracy theory that says that all middle eastern kingdoms attacked us on 9/11 or anything like that... but just that as a result of all that 9/11 stuff we have a much larger military precence in the region... at home the price of a barrel of oil has soared. I know it's leveled off a bit but OPEC is fixing that now. Just last week it was announced that production would be cut in an effort to boost oil prices. America uses an insane amount of oil. Alot of oil revenues go right back to the middle eastern kingdoms. All I'm saying is that we are paying for all those towers... in part as a result of watching our own fall.

Bottom line... there are spoils of war. Dubai is a beneficiary of the war.

3. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

As an economist major i can tell you that the rise and fall of the price of oil is tied to supply and demand. Now when we decide to go bomb one of the larger oil producing countries and threaten the entire region, its obvious that the price of oil is going to go up since most other non-oill producing counries decide to buy more oil in order to ensure they have enough stock in case production is cut as a result of escalating violence.

Now the main benifactors of that is undoubtfully (like you said) the oil producing countries. But the reason it went up in the first time is the war we have decided to wage on the region. Oil producing countries are making more money.. good for them.

Bush and Cheney own hot stocks in some of US's major oil companies. Its obvious they benefitted as well from the rising prices.

A plane hits a building in NY and we decide to attack the region. The price of oil goes up and OPEC makes money, Bush and Cheney make money, almost everyone makes money except for us the public. I'm kinda skeptical of who really is responsible for 9/11 in the first place.

btw.. you mentioned that "Just last week it was announced that production would be cut in an effort to boost oil prices".. I just want to point out that if they did that it would raise the price of oil.. what OPEC has decided to do is raise production not cut it.

4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I don't want to talk politics either.. I just don't like having the word "terrorists" thrown around so loosely. They are not terrorists (despite of what our press tells us).

I've never been treated badley while living in their countries.. why do we have to tream them so badely in return.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

that's true.

Makes you wonder if they wanted war with us in the first place doesn't it?
    I have always questioned their intentions. Just the day to day business of war is what Cheney's company specializes in. *I realize as VP he no longer has official ties but you know as soon as the term is up he's going right back there and signing a contract with a huge bonus.
    :suspect:
    OPEC has announced two cuts in recent months, the first of 1.2 million barrels per day from November 1 and a further 500,000 bpd to take effect from February 1.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070118/bs_afp/ieacommoditiesenergy_070118130702

this is a little muddled. Can't tell it in Tennessee right now but warm weather is playing x-factor.

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Actually what the IEA has done is that they have reported that they have reduced its forecasts for world oil demand. See when they do that the price of oil goes down because it assures buyers that supply is higher than what the demand currently is.

Opec cut production to match IEA's forecast instead of doing that to lower the price of oil.

If they cut production when the demand is high it would cause the price to go up. No-body wants that including opec.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

When did I throw around the word "terrorists"? Terrorists are people. I never made any reference to armed gunman. I listed "terror" as a factor making up the boom impact the war has had on middle eastern economies. That's fair. I don't listen to what the President says anyways because I really don't think he knows what he is doing. It's like he's Kerry Collins or something. Hell, I had more faith in Kerry Collins on opening day than I ever had in Bush.
    If OPEC cuts production the result is higher prices.
    OPEC has cut production. Expect the price of gasoline to be higher six months from now.
    I didn't feel like getting real fine a minute ago, but is this what you mean to say; what I have highlighted... by the way, by "boost" I mean "raise oil prices"... All I'm saying here, although there are a number of factors in play is that the UAE is able to build like that because they are getting very rich on oil. America is buying alot of that oil. That has always been true. It's valid to factor in the terror attacks and the ensuing war. That has brought more money to UAE that has been used to build Dubai's infrastructure. There are some very rich and powerful men who have invested thier oil fortunes there. It's just amazing how much one place can benefit from so many deaths.

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Pimp My Desert!!!

9. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

This has been posted before, but it is worth repeating. The ruler of Dubia is spending the countries oil wealth to transform his nation. Dubia has only 20-30 years worth of oil left, after that his nation would go from one of the worlds richest to one of its poorest. He is attempting to turn his country into a vacation destination for the world and a place for the world's super rich to have that 3rd or 4th home.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

And it is very smart to turn it from oil to a tourist attraction.

Look at how much the Barj al-arab costs per night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar