Dude you might be gettin' a Dell

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GoT, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

[​IMG]
    Only live once and thinking about replacing my venerable 2004 Averatec 6235. Bought it from Comp USA - RIP

Anyways I am all about bang for $$$.

Have had good luck with Acer's recently and really just asking what Laptop, no netbooks please and no applecrap either, people think gives the most bang for the $$$. Things that are important to me at this time would be at least 15 inch screen, 250+GB HD, at least 3GB Ram, prefer dedicated Video Card, and Windows 7.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115728
    thinking about pulling the trigger on this $400 dollar unit.

any thoughts??

The downside to this unit is the intergrated Video and only 250GB HDD, but it has 4GB Ram so only real downside is the 250GB HDD. I think it will be hard to top at $440 delivered, dang state taxes.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

much nicer laptop than unit I singled out. What vendor did you use at EbaY???

4. Deuce Wayne

Antonline . I don't see any that price now, but I'd keep watching there were a lot that I kept missing out on before finally landing mine.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=5608152&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

about $60 more for this unit. Has 320GB HDD and Radon HD 4200 Graphic set. 10% faster cpu, but FSB speed not identified. Its brown and its a Gateway - which has not been cool since the Clinton administration first came too power.

of course following this just a few $$$ more logic eventually leads to me rationalizing something like this ...

http://www.amazon.com/Alienware-M17...F8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&qid=1275108803&sr=1-1

which ain't gonna happen - lol
    at least it has free shipping

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Acer give you a great spec for price.

However...when it comes to support you are on your own. They are terrible.

I would only buy one if you really know what you're doing in terms of technical ability.

I bought one for my old man. Fantastic spec but it arrived with no installation discs,no driver discs.

The built in Webcam didn't work as the incorrect driver was installed. There wasn't even a driver for it on their website.

None of which was really a problem but it was frustrating. If it goes wrong Acer are invisible.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yeah you gotta make your own BU disks and hit the website for drivers. Think they are Tiawanese as well so even when you find something it is in pidgeon english.

But still lots of hardware for the $$$

After thinking about it all night and pondering I am really considering dropping some $$$$ on a new HD for the ol'Averatec. That 60GB HD is the only thing really bringing it down. Could get a USB based external SSD cause finding a cheap IDE drive will probably be hard. Of course finding a cheap external SSD will be an issue as well. Could always plug the ol' 1TB USB External up to it, but it kinda stops being protable at that point. Never a good cheap simple solution to lifes problems, unless that solution is beer.

or I can just do nothing at all cause the Averatec is running just fine - lol

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

just make sure that your old laptop can take a SATA. If it's old you may need an IDE hard drive.

faster spin speed will give you more performance than a higher cache.

Drawback is that the 7200 rpm disks will run hotter and drain battery faster.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

10. Deuce Wayne

That Gateway NV was the other computer I was looking at before deciding on the A505.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar