Earl Thomas with our #1 pick!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I know it's not all about speed.

Unless you're trying to go from college safety to corner.

THEN you had better have great speed to make up for how many times you're going to be burned. Great speed that he doesn't have.

He doesn't have any of the tools to play corner in the NFL. Him being 'kinda' fast doesn't help that.

2. cam4mav

cam4mav Camp Fodder

what exactly are the tools you don't think he has.

you probably mentioned them before, but this thread is full of pointless bickering and it hurts my head to search through it!

and I really question what tape you are watching that makes you think he isn't fast enough, or fluid enough in the hips to play CB in the NFL. I'd be more than happy to watch links if you have them

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm not saying he sucks. I like Earl Thomas. I'm just saying he doesn't have the BEST coverage skills. He's a great player, and probably could play CB. He'll need time though, I think he'll need a couple years to adjust to the NFL CB type of play.

I think he's fast enough. The 40 time means nothing, it's like a track meet. Once you get the extra 10lbs of pads on, it's a whole different game. For example, Charles Woodson ran a 4.47 40 Time. That's not THAT fast, and look how good he is.

I'm not against Earl Thomas, I'm against taking a CB at 16.

4. cam4mav

cam4mav Camp Fodder

gotcha
    I think you guys need DE bad, and odds are a good one will be there
    with no 2nd rounder, whoever you pick first needs to have an immediate impact

5. Deuce Wayne

The skills I think he lacks to be an NFL corner?

Hip fluidity, footwork (his backpedal is weak to say the least), size (due to being a softie), and cover skill.

He's good at staying in one particular area and reading the QB... but that's really all he showed at Texas. You can't do that in the NFL. You also can't just make your big plays due to the fault of the qb. Almost every one of his interceptions are just terrible passes. Never him just breaking on the ball well or actually cutting a receiver off... just him playing the ball alone... as a safety... and catching a pass that's usually never close to the WR.

Due to being my size (literally) he'd have to be feisty like Finnegan in order to not be owned at the line... and I don't think he has the balls to press anyone, as he shows when he tackles looking as if he's not wanting to get hurt.

I don't think he's a bad SAFETY. He'd be a terrible CB though and NFL coaches know that. (All other than maybe Jeff Fisher, which scares the sh outta me. See: M. Griffin)

I don't think he's worth a 1st round pick though no matter what position he's playing.

He's a slightly faster (maybe) Morgan Burnett. And I love Morgan Burnett... but I be damned if I'd lie and say he can play corner. lol

6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

It's like you just make this stuff up as you go.

Cover skills - more than ample, probably the best in the draft or at lease right up there with Wilson and Hayden.

Hip fluidity - again right up there with Wilson and and probably better than Hayden.

Speed - so far he is has been clocked faster than hayden and Wilson.

Every NFL scout says he is more suited for Corner than safety but he is well rounded enough to play effectively at either. yet you still find new and inventive ways to not like him. All of which have been disproven by numerous guys on this site.

Do us all a favor and just admit you are biased against the guy and move on. You're not the first guy to not like a guy because he played for a school you hate and you won't be the last.

7. Deuce Wayne

Why am I biased against the guy?

I have no ties or angst vs Texas. I've made it clear on here that I'm big on Colt McCoy. I wanted Texas to win the NC vs Alabama.

This guy just isn't THAT good.

3rd round pick? Sure.

1st round pick? Sorry for whoever made that mistake.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/1/14/1251979/earl-thomas-nfl-draft-scouting

This is typically what I've been reading about Thomas and any team like the Titans that plays a significant amount of cover 2 would love the guy at CB. Where his size is not great for playing S it is ideal for a CB. His recognition skills are "elite" and he plays the ball as good as anyone in the draft. Gloat is getting owned...give it up man.

9. Deuce Wayne

lmao... yeah. I'm getting owned.

While he'll STILL NEVER... EVER play CB.

"Earl Thomas, S, Texas" (let me know when you see something else on a scouting report... )

Not one coach in the NFL is even thinking of him at CB, unless that coach is Jeff Fisher... whom also thought Michael Griffin could play corner.

And if you'll remember- I said Griffin couldn't play corner either. Many of you argued like you had a point there too... guess what? Surprise! He sucked at CB.
    When Jeff Fisher actually makes a change, you know something was wrong.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Nnamdi Asomugha was a FS in college. So was Finnegan and so was Rashean Mathis.

Where did duke get the idea Thomas was a "softie"? More moronic analysis there.

CB in some ways is an easier position because your focus is primarily on coverage where a safety has to play the run equally. At CB you cover the guy in front of you.

Thomas has the speed, the fluid hips and the ball skills to play CB. We know he can cover people because he did it at safety and at CB.

This is not a 6'2 guy we hope can change direction well enough to play the position Thomas is 5'10 1/2. He has superior ball skills.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aO9z0ZcI7mE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aO9z0ZcI7mE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar