Earl Thomas with our #1 pick!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Not a bad assessment, most every Texas fan I know would tell you that he is not one of the best tacklers we had on the team, fact is he was a bit soft of his tackles, but he was lights out on his coverage. I'm betting if he played for Michigan ol Deuce would be all over him as the next great NFL DB.

But he plays for Texas, and Duece hates all things Texas.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I hate all things Texas?

I loved Orakpo.

Like Colt McCoy a lot.

Liked Michael Huff.

Liked Jamal Charles.

I don't have a bias though. So I'm far more selective.

I didn't like Vince Young. Pretty good choice as of now. Didn't like Michael Griffin, and he tried proving me wrong for 1 season, then went back to mediocre.

3. Deuce Wayne

Gut, nice breakdown, but you could have done it in one word:

Mediocrity.

And he was obviously too slow to play CB in college (which is why he rarely did so, and proven by struggling to run under a 4.5 forty), so there's no chance he does it in the NFL.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ah...

So you're biased against all things Texas EXCEPT players YOU think can help us. Interesting slant on things...

Gut

5. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I love watching people pull crap out of their backside and try to present it as fact.

Nate Vashar played Corner at Texas and then moved to safety
    Michael Huff played Corner at Texas and then moved to Safety
    Michael Griffin played corner at Texas and then moved to safety
    Earl Thomas played corner at Texas and then moved to safety

Everyone DB at Texas is cross trained.

BTW the reason none of those guys stayed at Corner is because Texas is always loaded at corner. Earl Thomas is a fantastic cover guy who wasn't needed at Corner, Aaron Williams who will be a 1st round corner next year was manning one corner spot and Chykie Brown was on the other. Brown has something to prove since he had a sub-par year compared to his sophomore year, but he is still a legit NFL cover corner.

Earl Thomas has already proven to most scouts he has the ability to play either corner or safety. He definitely has proven he has the physical ability.

As far as calling him mediocre, I'm pretty sure the only thing about his game that one might call mediocre is his tackling, other than that he looks pretty elite in every other phase of the game.

BTW I love how you say you love Jamal Charles, but two years ago you were all over me because i said we should take him and you called me a homer. Fact is I was right, and you were and are a hater. :moon2:

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Game, set, match...

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Deuce Wayne

Uhhhh.... You just gave me examples of players that went FROM cb TO safety.

.... that's not a hard transition.

It IS however an almost impossible transition to go from safety TO corner.

Especially if you're too slow to play it- as Earl Thomas is.

This guy is a safety. And not a very good one at that. Thus the reason that every team other than this board sees him as a safety.
    Anyone that thinks he can play corner just doesn't understand the transition. Period.

8. Deuce Wayne

No. Except players that I think will actually be good in the NFL.

And for Texas to be so "loaded" at DB, they haven't produced many DB studs in the NFL lately, have they?

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Please explain how Thomas, who (according to nfldraftscout) runs the 10 in 1.56, the 20 in 2.50, and the 40 in 4.43....but is too slow to play S? For comparison, Haden, the consensus #1 CB prospect ran 1.53, 2.56, 4.52. Outside of being 3 hundredths off in a 10 yard sprint, he's faster than the best CB prospect. And Haden has been a dominant CB in college for YEARS!

Please explain how these numbers show he's slow (for a S) and can't make the switch to CB?

If he's not a good S, how did he produce a season better than the BEST season of Eric Berry who's considered one of the great S's to come out the last decade? LUCK???

And FYI, it's not just THIS board that thinks he can make the switch to CB...it's most NFL scouts, coaches, and GM's. I don't always agree with them either, but you have no basis for your comments since they can be FACTUALLY be proven wrong.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion...

Gut

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Aaron Ross was a very good CB before his injuries have kept him from playing.
    Quentin Jammer is a very solid CB but not great.
    Nate Vashar played WAY above his selection before injuries have hurt him.
    Michael Huff is a very good player. Might have more recognition if he wasn't playing on the Raidas!
    Michael Griffin has played up to a Pro Bowl level though he didn't last year...partly his fault and largely the lack of a pass rush. He played much better than Hope and can still get better.

While some of these guys haven't quite lived up to their billing, none have been outright busts and most of them are good or better players. Thomas is a better prospect coming out than all of the above except for maybe Huff (IMO) and we can get Thomas with a much lower pick! I don't see much downside if they think they can get him to tackle more consistently.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar