Early Look at 2017 S.O.S

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by kenny, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenny

kenny Starter

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet. I know it is early, and I do not think this will be real accurate. I know that teams like the Jags will MOST LIKELY improve from 3 wins with a new HC. At least you would think so; they have talent.

A couple of notable items:

1. The Colts have the easiest SOS @.424

2. Our SOS, is lower than this years' was; 2016 finishing SOS was .462. In 2017 it begins at .439, (Tied for 2nd Easiest SOS with Jags) let's hope that means we actually make the playoffs this year. We MUST win more in division games for it to matter though.

3. By the numbers; Mularkey has NO reason not to improve on the 9-7 record we just put up. That is IF Marcus comes back from injury in good shape. I know SOS does not always mean wins. However, it is a pretty good indication of what we SHOULD be able to do.

SOS by Defensive Points Allowed is list below the Win Total SOS as well in this link...

https://www.fantasyindex.com/2017/01/05/scheduletron/strength-of-schedule

Thoughts & Comments...........

2. The Bukafax

The Bukafax Starter

Jags bring down our SOS way too much.

3. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

4. kenny

kenny Starter

I agree; and I think that will make a difference in the adjusted SOS through out the year. I do believe they will improve their win loss record.

5. kenny

kenny Starter

I think that prediction gets you on "C'mon Man!" LOL

• LOL LOL x 1
  6. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

We (along with the Colts and Texans) play the Browns, 49ers, and the Jags twice. That's an embarrassing combined record of 9-55. And that's why we have the easiest SOS.

SOS means virtually nothing right now though.

I'd actually argue that next year's schedule looks tougher than what this year's initially looked like.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. kenny

kenny Starter

I can agree with that somewhat. Two of those teams will have new HC. As it said in the post it is not going to be accurate. Teams will improve some. Others will not reach the win totals they did. Oakland could easily not reach their win total from this year. They play in a tough division.

It seems like every year it does go up; however, it does not change as much as many think. I do not see the Browns winning 8 games in 2017. They may, but I seriously doubt it.

It usually averages out CLOSE to what it is. Meaning the Colts will have CLOSE to the easiest SOS in football; and we will have CLOSE to the 2nd easiest.

Anyway it goes, we have a favorable schedule.

8. kenny

kenny Starter

As it said in the original post, things will change. I do not expect us to end with a .439 SOS.

However, usually for every team that improves one does not reach it's previous win total. At times two teams really improve & one suffers through a rough year. One team loses it's QB in Pre-Season & the year is lost. A LOT CAN change.

Most of the time though; it equals itself out. I know there are a lot of exceptions to that. There are times it does not matter. However, this is about our EARLY SOS.

It appears we have a favorable schedule & no reason not to expect improvement if we have our starting QB.

9. JBC

JBC Starter

I think the S.O.S. Thing is dumb. Every team in the NFL has a chance to turn their fortunes around from one season to the next. There are too many coaching and personnel changes made every off season to go by what a team has done the previous year. Injuries and bad bounces early in a season can cause good teams to fall apart. Some teams start off hot, and fizzle down the stretch (Vikings).

If the Titans make the playoffs next season, it's because they have improved more than the other AFCS teams in areas of weakness, and maintained areas of strength. That includes coaching of course.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

SoS is nothing more than something to talk about in the offseason. Has no bearing on the outcome of the year.

Theres just too much turnover year to year

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar