Eddie George a HOF'er?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by BullyDozzzer, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I totally forgot about LJ. The guy fell off the face-of-the-earth after that season and hasn't been the same since.

The stats are mixed on it. Shaun Alexander has 370 carries in his sixth season and is done. But Emmitt Smith hit the 360+ mark in four of his first six seasons and played at a high level for most of his 15-year career. Walter Peyton hit 381 carries in his tenth season and had 1,500 yards the next season.

The bigger issue for Eddie was his style of running which had to take even more pounding than most.

I'll be interested to watch Micheal Turner and Adrian Peterson this season. They may be young enough to still play at a high level after a high number of carries but you wonder what the long-term issues may be.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Hope I'm not repeating someone else here but Eddie is one in a million. He does have the highlight reel to take him to Canton, just not the numbers. He compares rather closely to HOFer Jim Brown, in size, length of pro career, yardage. Both did some mediocre acting, both go by their nick names, both 1st rounders, both college football HOFer's and if Jim Brown is Hall of Fame worthy than Eddie isn't far behind. When did Jim Brown get a Super Bowl? Titles and rings help, but aren't necessary. The one and only difference has to be the TD totals. But Eddie is in fact up their in talent with any other HOF player. He probably wont get to the NFL's HOF, but only because he was so beaten up and had a low YPC average. Not being as good of a receiver as Jim Brown also doesn't help his case, but if you compare Eddie to any current HOF RB it has to be Jim Brown. Also in 1971 when Brown was enshrined, who else was there like him around? It was an easy decision to put him in. I bet for sure, if Eddie was born 50 years earlier he's in. Perhaps if Eddies better years came late, he would have been remembered for that.

3. TitanJeff

No doubt. How many 81-year olds can rack up 10,000 yards?

4. JCBRAVE

I think you know what I meant.

5. TitanJeff

Not really if you are comparing Eddie to Jim Brown.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Eddie george is not in the same planet as jim brown. Brown was the most dominant player in the history of the game. He averaged 5.2 yards a carry for 9 years. Eddie even in his prime was not a dominant runner.

5.2 yards a carry trumps 3.6 yards a carry in a big way and jim brown's other numbers are also superior. Brown played in an era where 1000 yards was much harder to accomplish.

When jim brown retired he had more yards than any back ever 4000 yards more than the 2nd highest guy.

The size comparison is meaningless.
    The draft status of a player is meaningless.

How dare you make that comparison.

As for highlight reel? Eddie had fewer career runs over 40 yards than lendale white had last year. Maybe you are confusing him with somebody else.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Apparently not when 9 of his contemporaries have more career yardage.

8. JCBRAVE

Nope, I know who Eddie George is. In Jim's day even Chris Henry could walk all over those defenses. Child Please.

9. If Eddie had played 10 years the same way he played in his first 5 seasons, he'd be in the HOF. But you can say the same for guys like Terrell Davis as well.

10. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Here's an interesting note, Eddie has more yards rushing, more receiving yards, and more total TD's than Earl Campbell who is already in the HOF. However, Campbell had a much better ypc average at 4.3 compared to George's 3.6. I think that has to hurt his chances a lot unless you count his 2800+ carries as a plus for him compared to Campbell's 2187 carries.

Now a contemporary guy who compares very similarly to George is Warrick Dunn. Both have similar yards rushing and carries, but Dunn has been playing for 4 more years than Eddie too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar