End the debate (Collins vs. Young)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheSureThing, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enmydsrvsnomrcy

enmydsrvsnomrcy Camp Fodder

...also on this show: Vince was asked what his greatest fear was and he replied "failure".

...i don't know about anyone here but imo, a quarterback and so called leader of a team - ON ANY LEVEL - should never say that to his own self while in private, let alone announce it in public...

...i have been rooting hard for Vince but when he said that it was far worse than nails on the chalkboard...i can only imagine what it sounded like to Fisher - who was sitting less than a foot away...

...this happened on Tuesday night...i'm not a betting man but i would be very willing to lay down some cash saying that the above instance along with the rumors that Vince wasn't very aggressive with his rehab had something to do with penciling Collins and his mangled throwing hand in as the starter...

2. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

um....whats wrong with a player not wanting to fail? wtf are you talking about?

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I think he said spiders were his biggest fear..

4. eds clothing

eds clothing Camp Fodder

Ok let's say he miss the treatment does Fisher tell him he's not starting and risk a win to prove a point. I mean I seen player do a lot worse and start a game just doesn't make a lot of sense:grrr:

5. enmydsrvsnomrcy

...lol...i clearly see where you stand...

...if you are in the huddle with the game on the line and you look into the eyes of your quarterback and know that all he is thinking is "i don't want to fail" - well, i don't know what to tell you...

...as i type, Blaine Bishop just criticized Young on the 3 Hour Lunch, saying "i think he's afraid to fail"...

...successful quarterbacks are known for having ice water in their veins, not declaring that they are afraid of failing...

6. PorcupineTree

PorcupineTree Starter

I've never for a second felt Collins was even close to being as good as Vince is. Yesterdays performance was laughable. Collins took his patented level of mediocrity to an almost epic level yesterday. I truly think I could have suited up and completed almost as many passes as Coliins did during his stunning performance in the first half yesterday.

I thought Vince looked OK yesterday, but it was pretty clear he wasn't fully prepared and that he didn't seem to have his head fully in the game, as in he really wasn't expecting to go out there and perform at a high level. No question Vince at half speed is an infinitely better athlete than Collins is (and I would submit ever was), but I can't shake the lingering suspicions I have about this whole ordeal yesterday.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders about two scenarios.

Was Fisher doing the unthinkable and putting the start in Collins hands because of this consistent perception of mistrust in Vince, or did Vince actually give him good reason during the two weeks they had off to actually go with Collins because Vince wasn't doing what was necessary to rehab correctly, or worse because Vince didn't show an interest in getting his a** back on the field to lead this team ?

I wish I knew the answer and sadly I think a strong case could be made to support either scenario. Its been obvious throughout the year that Fisher has a bit of a man love crush on Collins and we all know that despite being 0-6 last year and suffering through some of the ugliest football this team has ever played, Fisher kept putting Collins out there to fall flat on his face game in and game out. Its no secret his hand was forced by Bud to put Vince back in as the starter. He also yanked Vince during the Steelers game and showed us all again that he just doesn't trust Vince.

As a result of the actions above and Fishers obvious lack of emphatic support and loyalty to Vince, perhaps Vince nursed the ankle and didn't want to readily get back out there on the field, and that possibility really bothers me, because in all honesty I could almost see that being a possible contributor to Fishers decision to go worth Collins yesterday.

It bothers me mainly because it's baffling to me how Brett Farve could have a similar ankle issue where he actually has hairline fractures in his foot and can hardly walk after a press conference, but is back out there playing 6 days later, and yet Vince has 13 days to recover from a similar injury and doesn't make it back to the field... So the ultimate question is, was this Fisher's decision or did Vince actually give him a good reason to go with Collins yesterday ? It's troubling to me that there is even the remote possibility that either of these scenarios are plausible, but the reality is that both could be true...

Also, how is it that Collins takes almost all the snaps during practice and NO ONE notices that his throwing hand is dinged up to the point where he has virtually no control over the direction of the ball ? You can't tell me that he just woke up Sunday and suddenly couldn't hit the broad side of a barn like that and no one noticed earlier in the week that this might be a problem ? This is another clue to me that Fisher might have chosen to sit Vince for other reasons than his ankle vs. go with a guy who could barely throw the ball yesterday...

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't know if anyone posted it but Mike Keith, this morning on The Zone, said Young was visibly limping at Thursday's practice so Fisher backed him down. I can understand Fisher needing to make a decision early enough to give Collins more work with the first team on Friday's walk-thru.

Young may have responded well to a couple of treatments he received late in the week. If Fisher knew Young was as mobile as he was Sunday, he may have made a different decision on Thursday.

I will say this... Young will play the rest of the season unless he get hurts again. For those questioning whether or not Young is the future, the next seven games should tell us everything we need to know.

8. enmydsrvsnomrcy

...i heard this and listen to Mike Keith every day at 7:55 and every Monday from 8:00 until 9:00 - as a fan, he always makes me feel better...the optimist in me wants to believe this is the entire truth...

...believe me - i TRULY want to believe that everything is ok and that this is the entire truth...

9. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

Vince Young is better.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

So everyone thinks the #1 qb is better than the #2 qb?
    Preposterous!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar