Enroll at Tennessee

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Alex1939, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Seriously? I don't know if this justifies a response.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

For those fools sake, I hope they stay in school. Everyone knows what they'll turn to if kicked out. Being in school a while longer might give them the time they need to grow up, and think twice.

3. World Peace

It's hard to stay in school when you are in prison.

4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I think good chance 2 of them will be off the team but Jackson, according to accounts, possibly wasn't involved and was in the store, so we shall see.

Kiffin has done a great job considering. Almost a year without any kind of major incident, while not anything to be overly proud of, is pretty good considering what was going on up there in the previous years.

5. World Peace

Has there been a store surveillance tape released yet?

6. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

They'll be at D2 North Alabama next year(If they get kicked off UT)...Bobby Bowden is already sending his Ex thugs so why shouldnt Kiffin?

7. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

I agree with some of the things you say, but you couldn't be more off base. Seriously, your feel like college kids deserved to be paid to play? So much for the love of the game and why does society believe everything should be a handout. These kids go out there and play a game that's going to potentially build them into stars and make them millions down the road. As we all know, that doesn't pan out for every single kid and many are left with an, "all I got in college was this lousy education T-shirt". How's a free education not enough?

Also how would you propose divvying up the share of money amongst all the kids in the NCAA. Would an across the board 20 dollars for all be fair, probably not because before long the prima donnas college T.O.'s would start wanting a "stars" share. Would a sliding scale amongst the highest selling jerseys be fair? There's simply no sense to it. There's so many negatives not mentioning the bad precedent it would start.

Get Real.

8. jdog

jdog I like beer!

Another problem with some college players is the expectation level. They come into the school asking how soon they might be drafted into the NFL.

9. World Peace

I like alot of the things you say too. Thank you. When you get a minute, could you go in depth with this?

When I was in college, I knew a few athletes. Infact, I knew a guy who played football who sold weed. It's not something you do, just to do it.. Same goes for holding up a convenience store clerk... You don't sell weed just to sell weed. You sell (or any other drug) for the money obviously. This person I knew never got caught and never had a career in professional sports (No, he didn't smoke weed and no, I can't/don't either.)

As I said before, sure they get a free education, free room and board, free food, free clothes, free books and while that package is pretty sweet and I would love to have something like that myself. That doesn't pay a car payment(especially if your parents are poor), that doesn't pay for dinner with your girlfriend at a nice restaurant and that doesn't give you any discretionary cash for CDs and Movies or whatever else that college aged kids want. Etc etc

Now, another one of my friends who was an intercollegiate athlete (not football or basketball) and he had it made. He had a scholarship, full ride, and SOMEHOW he was getting some sort of financial aid as well. Since the combination of his financial aid and his scholarship was more than his collegiate expenses, he would get a $2200 check every semester. Why? I dont know his particular circumstances but for a poor college kid, $2200 a semester was more than enough for him. Like I said, this was after everything was paid for by the Uni. Is this something that is common? Maybe you guys can enlighten me.

Also, we should take into account... Just like NCAA Basketball (See Coach Calipari) alot of premier athletes only use college as a stepping stone to the pros. Alot of the really good athletes don't care about class and if it wasn't for tutors, many of them wouldn't pass class because they don't. How many one and dones were there at U of Memphis? (not that I blame the one and dones)

I just wish I could have a business where my business model was set up as follows:

1) Pay the manager (coach) a bunch of money to get good employees.
    2) Cover the food, clothing, shelter for the employees(players) at the states/other students expense
    3) Not pay your employees 1 red cent
    4) Get a big TV deal for your organization
    5) ?????
    6) Profit!!!

10. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

Yeah, I had hoped Maurice Clarrett would have put an end to that. But no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar