Entire O-Line Run Down + Options

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dtm586, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Entire O-Line Run Down + Options

One of the main areas of concern that the majority of Titan fans in this forum seem to want to address in the off-season is the O-Line. The O-Line seems to be the biggest area of need, obviously before the running game is to be addressed.

Looking ahead through a crystal ball, with Hasselbeck under contract until 2012, baring a real hot start next year, Jake Locker will probably be the guy that is handed the reigns early on in 2012. Meaning the Titans will want some help around him to keep him upright.

Looking at our current staff, comprised of 2 former teammates, Houston Oilers Hall of Famers, Munchak and Matthews - you almost can smell a O-Line heavy Draft for the Titans in '12, this being Munch's first (input) crack at the Draft.

So just for kicks here's a quick run down of the position and how it MAY look in 2012 ...

Left Tackle is has and still be set with the return of, underrated around the league, Michael Roos whose under contract until 2013 and will only be in his early 30's.

Right Tackle "Big Country" David Stewart will be in blue a year longer than Roos, after both got 6 year deals, with the latter coming a year after.

Both Roos and "Big Country" are about the same age; and have and will be the staple at the Tackle positions at least for another 2 years.

Guards and Center is where things get a little dicey and some upgrades could be made - according to many Titan fans who are collaberating for some changes up-front.

Eugene Amano the C/G is locked up until the end of 2014 and is the third highest paid O-Line on the Titans roster. He almost takes a starting position by default because of that.

Leaving the two most likely expendable Guards, Jake Scott who walks after this year (unless re-signed) and LeRoy Harris a year after this.

If Roos, Stewart and Amano are starting next year, I feel Scott (a servicable veteran) will be let go to pursue a different team, where as Harris may be better suited as a floater/backup to fill in at either guard or center position.

Backup O-Liners are free agents in: Velasco ('12), Otto ('12) Matthews ('13), Kropog ('14), Stingly ('15)

So ONLY assuming, Scott, Velasco and Otto are let go that free's up 3 valuable O-Liners; 1 - 2 of those preferably starting in 2012.

Some Notable FREE AGENT O-LINERS in 2012

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Big" Ben Grubbs, Guard, out of Baltimore (will only be in his late 20's, this is the big man I would love to see the Titans throw big money at in free agency but eh who knows - I'm sure Baltimore will re-sign him if they havent already)

Nick Hardwick, Center, out of San Diego (a capable veteran center)

Jeff Saturday, Center, out of Indy (a servicable stop-gap mentor, if he doesnt retire along with his buddy Peyon)

Some of the TOP Studs at the Tackle, Guard and Center position (ASSUMING they are coming out in next years Draft) - here are some of the "young bloods" as potential suitors to our o-line ...

Matt Kalil one of the top rated Tackles coming outta USC and blocks for Matt Barkley, will probably be off the board early so the Titans would have to collapse down the stretch this year to have a high enough pick, most likely. 6'7 3 bills

[​IMG]

David DeCastro one of the top rated Guards who blocks for Andrew Luck of Standford would be a legit guard to plug in for years to come and would help slide Amano out of there. Since I live in California and get to see there games, I sure wouldnt mind this mammoth inside our line. 6'5 300+

[​IMG]

Michael Brewster
    one of the top rated Centers out of Ohio State. An athletic mobile center is what the Titans have seemed to lack, considering Amano and Harris make better guards due to their lack of mobility. 6'5 290+

[​IMG]

So Finally brings me to my vision of how I would have the o-line looking in 2012 ...

LT- Roos, RT - Stewart, C - Brewster/Amano, G - Grubbs, G - Kalil and move him to Tackle a year or two once Roos or Stewart leaves

Just wanted to know what others thought of the o-line because before everyone starts going - "WELL AMANO SUCKS! AND HARRIS SUCKS!" you got to look at it logically from a contract stand-point because apart from 1 big signing or a high draft pick, I think the o-line may very well look similiar to now ...

CREDITS GO TO:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/

credited for the Tennessee Titan's roster, salary and contract situation (pretty sure its accurate and up to date as close as possible)

http://nfltraderumors.co/2012-nfl-free-agents/

credited for free agents of 2012

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

None of our lineman are playing very well. Some of them are shockingly awful! Everyone seems to be giving Roos and Stewart a pass, but they haven't played as well as they did in past years either. They aren't as woeful as the other three guys, but they aren't without blame either. I feel terrible for our backs. In the offseason, we must replace the center and guards. (maybe a tackle or 2 too) I just can't blame coaching for 3 guys that get blown up completely at the snap on almost every run play It's about strength and reaction time. that's on the players. They are a disgrace to the NFL.

3. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Correct. The o-line as a whole has been collectively poor this year. But Stewart and especially Roos have been a solid duo at the tackle position for years now, and the typical Titans fan who thinks the sky is falling and wants radical changes after one bad half of a year is ludacris in my opinion.

Roos and Stewart get a free pass. The entire Titans coaching staff have undergone drastic changes from just a year ago and the season is only a little more than half way over ...

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Quality post. Why we still haven't moved our linemen back to the positions they played while good- I don't know.

Guess that would involve adjusting. Heaven forbid..

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

It has baffled me some time now. It's obvious that Emano is best at guard. I thought Harris handled himself pretty well at center in a huge playoff game where he dealt with Haloti Ngata all game long.

6. bigdogtitan

bigdogtitan Camp Fodder

Totally agree its time to invest in some quality talent in the center and guard positions.Don't overpay or over draft, but we are going to have to be able to run the ball effectivley even when it is expected.Running the football is an attitude.Lineman can drive block and pound instead of being on their heels pass blocking every play when you get behind.

7. nbtoppers2

nbtoppers2 Pro Bowler

Amano can't be cut fast enough for my liking. the very first play from scrimmage was a 4 yard loss...with Amano being pushed into the backfield

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Terrible logic. He's been terrible. He doesn't deserve a starting position because he gets paid more than player B.

Jake Scott can leave. Dude has been the 2nd worst olineman this year for us (besides Amano).

You forgot the best available OG.. Carl Nicks. Chances we land Grubbs or Nicks? Not very good. They will probably both re-sign with their current teams. However, hopefully having two HOF OL coaches will lure some OL FAs in.

I'm a fan of Nick Hardwick, and think he's the FA OL we need. He'll be MUCH cheaper than Nicks and Grubbs. Look what Mawae did for us? A vet center, who can be the leader of your OL (like he is for the Chargers) is a HUGE advantage. He just turned 30, and has another 4 years in him atleast (look at Saturday, he's 36 and is still balling). Chargers have other key FAs to target (Tolbert, VJax, Garay, Gregory, and Oliver) so they may let Hardwick test the market.

Kalil and DeCastro will probably be gone by the time the Titans pick. Do NOT like Brewster. I'm in BIG10 land and see alot of OSU, and he's never really wow'd me... I remember the Illini game, he was pushed multiple times into the backfield (hmm reminds me of Amano) Here's a video on him:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3u4-kWWUtU"]Michael Brewster NFL Draft Analysis - 2010 Season - YouTube[/ame]

I'll let you decide if you like him or not. Personally, I'm a Peter Konz fan out of Wisc. That dude is a monster.

Although, I don't think C is where we should go in the draft, I think OG is where we need to draft. Luckily C to G switch is normally easy. Here's how I see this years offensive line class:

1. David DeCastro
    2. Peter Konz
    3. Kelechi Osemele
    4. Cordy Glenn
    5. Ben Jones
    6. Michael Brewster
    7. Lucas Nix

Konz is where I would go. Was a basketball and football (OL and DL) player in high school. Originally scouted as an OT, but never played tackle. Wisc moved him to interior, where he's started at C since. I think he has the ability to play RG for us. If he's gone, Osemele is my guy.

Chances we land Grubbs, Kalil, and Brewster this off-season? not good. I wish, but it's not going to happen. Kalil will likely be a Top-10 selection, and the first OL off the board. Brewster has some hype on his back that could land him a 2nd round pick. That means we'd have to trade up to a Top-10 pick, and keep our 2nd still. Use our first two picks on offensive lineman, and then spend a ton of money on Grubbs.

Here's what I want/see:

Roos - Harris/Amano/Velasco - Hardwick - Konz (or Osemele) - Stewart

Use a 2nd round pick on an interior OL. Let Scott walk, for he will probably want a decent contract. Keep Velasco. Sign Hardwick for a 4, maybe 5, year contract for decent money. Then let Harris, Amano, and Velasco battle for the starting job.

9. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

yeah id be all for this as well. I think at least one of the guards will be the weak point and many titans fans wont like it, thus I hope they go out and sign Grubbs but like you said he will be really expensive and there will be plenty of interested parties besides us ha.

Hardwick has been solid and reliable and like many of us have voiced, a big time center is what they are lacking. Mawae was the commander on the line even at age 36 and 37. Hardwick is 30ish so yeah i'd be on board with that move. Amano and Harris need to be moved to guard permenetly. A solid, true center is what this team needs I think we all agree there ...

As for Konz over Brewster I realize Konz is the better prospect of the two, but he should go higher than Brewster by a round or 2 and drafting a center that early like you alluded to probably isnt the way to go, especially if they make a run at Hardwick or some other veteran.

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm drafting Konz in the 2nd, as a guard. But I see Konz going late Round 1, early Round 2. So Osemele is who I'd be happy with.

Tried to find a 2011 Osemele video, can't find any. He played OT last year, and wasn't very good. Has been legit this year moving inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar