EoHalf and EoGame D

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoT, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

really dissapointed in the Jimbelina like Ds CC employed at the End of the half and End of the Game- End of half especially. With 3:32 remaining in the half Titans had given up a FG and a penalty assisted TD drive and forced a TO and 2 punts. Basically stopping the 49ers on 4 straight posessions - yet in a tie ballgame CC, apparently it was CC I have no knowledge it would be anyone else, obviously was willing to concede the go ahead FG despite the Titans success at stopping SF in every drive except the opening FG. Utlimately Smith bought some time floating to his right and got an easy TD agianst the Titan Schwartz D - arrugh!

On the game closing drive, which forced a game deciding onsides kick, the Titan prevent D could not tackle anyone INBOUNDS and they gave up the edges. I always thought prevent Ds gave up the middle and tackled inbounds - Arrugh!!!!! possibly this retarded approach to the prevent D is why the Titans are so awful at it.

2. titansfan89

titansfan89 Starter

I was disappointed with the end of the game "play back so they have a tough time getting in the end zone" and "giving up first downs is ok as long as the clock rolls" strategies the most.

However, I think that the touchdown at the end of the half confused everyone. Personally, I was 100% sure Smith was just gonna run it out of bounds and save the 20 seconds on the clock and kick the go ahead field goal. You could tell Cort thought the same because he let Davis get behind him for the easy TD.

But yeah, our D needs to play 110% and not just let off the gas because we're up by a couple scores. If the onside kick goes their way, they have good field position, 40 seconds on the clock and a timeout.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

It must really piss the players off too.

You're doing great and in that adrenalin zone and then your told to back off and give ground.

It just doesn't work. When does our style of prevent ever chew up the clock?CC has definitely turn things around but it's still a work in progress.

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

god when is the constant whining going to stop...do you guys realize were not the only team in the NFL that uses the prevent defense? In fact, we're one of 32 teams that use it..

The "Stay back and don't let them score" defense is DESIGNED for the same situations everyone on this board moans about when we don't line up in a cover 2. It's supposed to keep the clock rolling/make the opposing team burn timeouts at the risk of giving up the short routes, and more often then not, It works. Nothings going to change, you can cry all you want on how you want us to blitz on 3rd and 45 or blitz when we're up by 7 with 30 seconds left, but its just not the smartest thing to do..Thats why Cecil/Schwartz are on the field on sundays and we're on our couches.

And another thing, FYI, It's not Scwhartz defense, he didn't invent the prevent defense. Watch another NFL game..

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Bollocks.

The defence was having fun being creative and causing problems for the 49ers.

They blew 11 minutes against our regular D and got a field goal. Against our style of prevent they scored a TD in less than 3 minutes including giving up a 30 yd pass.

Going prevent is design to make the offence take the underneath passes and short gains and keep moving the chains.When that Offence gets inside your 20 it's back to your normal D.

We execute it poorly,don't take time off the clock and consistently allow teams to score on us when we go prevent.

It's not a bad scheme we just don't run it well.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

In a 10-10 ballgame with 3:32 left a 3 and out gives the O a chance to run the 2 minute drill - play to win

7. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

1. I'm confused. Any time you give up points your obviously executing poorly, thats not what this thread is about though...He's upset because we ran the prevent instead of our standard defense, not because we ran it poorly.

2. They blew 11 minutes in a drive consisting of short passes, running plays, and no sense of urgency. Common sense tells you its going to be harder to score TD's against a defense protecting the big play, then it will against one that puts 7 in the box. But obviously teams will score on it occasionally. If that made sense..

3. I'm not sure why so many of you trust our "standard" defense...which is the same defense that gave up 59 points 3 weeks ago, not to mention 35 in a single quarter..

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Hey our defence has been pretty good over the last two weeks.

Our prevent defence has consistently let teams keep games close.It's the Fisher MO.

As soon as we get a lead we go prevent. It almost always ends in the opposing team scoring and then we're in the nervous position of a tight finish.

The 49ers game wasn't too bad because we had a 14 point lead. I think we run it too soon and we run it poorly. When we run it we also often go into our prevent offence, which is to just run it up the middle until we get stopped.

How often does that end up 3 and out and then the prevent D is back in play.

It's not a comfortable thing to watch us turtle when we're playing well. Titans fans are used to close finishes that the coaching brings upon itself.

There's just no need for it.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The prevent is very different than what I see the Titans run. All they appear to do is drop the LB/S deeper to make sure the reception stays in front of them. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as they close and make the tackle. On that last Niner drive, they didn't get it done.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

or the drive at the end of the half.

Again with 3:32 left a 3 and out gives the O a chance to run the 2 minute drill, what CC did was allowing an impotent SF O an unearned scoring oppertunity, which they converted to 7 points because of bad coverage on a Smith roll-out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar