ESPN article on Patriots cheating in the 00s.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by VondyP, Sep 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

**** cheaters and patriots

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

But in all seriousness ... Yes the Patriots are cheaters, and I do think they are scum HOWEVER I was rooting for the Patriots in the deflate gate case.

There was not nearly enough evidence to prove that there was any wrong doing by Tom Brady. If the NFLPA were to let Goodell get away with enforcing this penalty based on what amounted to nothing more than a hunch, then the NFL could be going down a deep dark path where Goodell can basically suspend/punish who ever he wants, with no evidence of wrong doing.

The NFL investigation was a joke ... NFLPA cannot let that be the standard to which following investigations (against any player or team) are held.

What this article shows how Goodell handles his matters re-actively rather than pro-actively.

When the Patriots were first caught cheating (spygate) he has the tapes destroyed and tries to sweep the whole thing under the rug ... Its not until he faces the heat of the NFL owners before he really reacts and tries to set any precedent for other teams cheating moving forward (by making a statement to the owners per the article).

Bounty Gate was just an over-reaction from spy gate. Goodell thought he had an opportunity to redeem himself from spy-gate by laying the hammer down on 'cheaters' ... however, since he had tried to sweep the whole Patriots thing under the rug previously, he appeared to be showing favoritism (or should I say patriotism lol) to the Pats. Fans got the impression that he would arbitrarily hand out punishments to 'cheaters'

When the whole deflate gate scandal came out, this was FINALLY Goodell's chance to squash that 'favoritism' notion from fans/media. Goodell let this get in the way of better judgment, and tried to jump to conclusions when it was clear not enough evidence was had to really make such claims.

We see Goodell react in the exact same way to the whole Ray Rice situation. His initial suspension of Ray Rice was only for a few games ... then after he feels the heat from the media, he reacts and suspends him 'indefinitely'

This just makes Goodell seem incompetent when it comes to making judgments. He allows outside pressure to factor into his decisions. Fans can sense it, media can sense it, players can sense it ... and no one has respect for that type of person. ESPECIALLY when that person should be a leader.

And lets face it, as the commish of the NFL, Goodell should be a leader for the NFL, he should be a trend setter and a precedent setter for the NFL, he should be forging new ground for the NFL ... but, in these cases, he has proved to be the exact opposite. And that is why so many people view him as a joke.

I am glad Goodell lost this case to the Pats, because it is in the best interest of the league. The Pats finding ways to cheat a few plays per game against a few teams a year is less damaging to the NFL than Goodell's arbitrary and reactive way of handling delicate NFL matters.

And it seems that this finally be the straw that broke the camel's back as far as Goodell being the sole person in charge of handling NFL conduct rules/hearings/punishments. (saw an article that said Goodell was willing to give up some of that power). This is good for the NFL IMO.

Now, I hope that the next time the Patriots get caught cheating, the NFL (not just Goodell) is able to conduct a transparent, clear and concise investigation into the Patriots, and then hand out an unbiased punishment based on the evidence at hand.

3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

They pushed boundaries as most teams are always trying. Goes to show how lazy the NFL is about watching stuff closely. Is it right? Course not. This ESPN article is a smear campaign dropped by the NFL because they lost in this stupid deflate gate trial. Nearly a decade old issue... Plz

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

This is what ESPN does. They wait for a story to break that paints an organization in a bad light, send a couple of reporters out to dig up dirt, wait until things play out, then release the story.

They did it with Auburn when Cam was there. They did it with FSU when Jameis was there. They're doing it with the Patriots now.

I don't know if what they're reporting is accurate, but I can guarantee they wrote it to generate clicks. They probably sat on this for months waiting for the Deflategate ruling to be announced. Less than a week later they drop the bomb.

ESPN is ****.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I just read the whole article.

Summary:

Patriots cheat. NFL has known about it for years. Both are sneaky and cover things up. Some sweet jabs at Goodell from owners. Goodell is dog****.

6. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

How many of the rest of you guys pretend to cheat but don't really use the stuff you find out?

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

they dont pretend to cheat

i think youre missing the point

8. 615nick

615nick Starter

F goodell, f the pats, f brady and f belicheat.

9. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

If this was any other team, the punishments would have been HUGE... Like remember when Rodge made an example out of Pacman? Yeah, like that, but for the whole organization.

HC should have been banned for a year or more, owner / team fined 1M or more, possibly taking back a ring - or more if deemed fit, etc... Further investigations should have been done and evidence shouldn't have been destroyed either.

That was some serious BS. I hate the pats, can't stand them.

As far as I'm concerned, every ring they have won is tainted - 3 spy and 1 deflate, you kidding me? Dynasty my @$$

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

They had news about the Kardishains arriving at the US Open.

They're a celebrity trash mag now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar