ESPN NFL Nation Mock Draft Special

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by 8isGreat, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8isGreat

8isGreat Starter Tip Jar Donor

Did anyone watch the ESPN NFL Nation Mock Draft tonight? The picks were made by team writers/analysts.

We had an awesome 1st round and if things actually go this way on Thursday night, I think most of us here will be very happy!...I certainly will be! :banjump:

Pick #5 - Jonathan Allen
    Pick #18 - Mike Williams*

*Corey Davis (who I'd prefer) was also still available at pick #18.

#1 8isGreat, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

BOOOOO!!!!!! We don't need a DE. We need a CB or ILB. As far as the WR or TE, I'm good, just not with 5.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. 8isGreat

Personally, I'd prefer to have Hooker or Howard at #5 rather than Allen (both were still on the board), but this draft is too deep at CB IMHO to take Lattimore at #5. There's also some really good LBs that we could get later on as well. I think you have to compare need with best player on the board and what kind of talent you can get later on in the draft.

4. HurrayTitans!

I think WR is the easiest to pass on in the 1st round because of how deep the class is. Get a top CB and I'm still for taking Foster who should be there at 18 now.

5. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

This is how losing teams draft. If our FO drafts only according to need or "traditional draft position" then they won't be around much longer.

Drafting for need gets you Jake Locker and Chance Warmack. Drafting for "traditional draft position" gets you Jake Locker and Vince Young.

You draft the best player for the system you run every time, regardless of need or "traditional draft position."

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

PK is getting his troll on

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. 8isGreat

If you are referring to Paul Kuharsky, I think it was Kevin Seifert that drafted for the Titans, so it wasn't actual team writers, but local area writers or team reporters/analysts that work for ESPN? Not 100% sure on that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. HurrayTitans!

Here's a big difference on your comparison. Not only does this team NEED a CB that can cover in man coverage, but they also NEED an ILB that can cover a TE. Now both positions will be available later the 5 so absolutely look for the trade down route.
    The other difference is reaching for players to fill need. (that's mostly why I suggest trade first). Locker was a DEFINATE reach, no question. Warmack was a reach because he's a OG. Almost no reason to take a OG in the first round or at least top 15.

What you don't need to do is draft a "BPA" in a position we don't need. For example, we already have a pretty good pass rush, drafting Allen would only add another player to that mix (unless there are intentions of using him to replace a current pass rusher, that changes things) but that's no different than drafting a 2nd QB if it's "BPA".

The WR piece can be argued back and forth about whether Offense or Defense should be addressed. I've heard plenty of valid argument for both.

My general argument is about taking Allen at 5. That to me is a waste.

• High Five High Five x 5
  9. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Sorry, but drafting Allen would make CB less of a priority because our pass rush would be elite. I'm not saying we should draft Allen over a CB, but we should take the best player who fits our scemes over a "need" position. You don't pass on a potential pro bowl or hof player because you already have an adequate player at that position.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. HurrayTitans!

If you already have a good pass rush, it can't get gooderer by adding another guy. You can improve the secondary which can improve the pass rush, but between Orakpo, Morgen and the rest of the DL, our pass rush in most games last year was not an issue.

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar