ESPN/PFF - "The Missing Pieces"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

There are certainly different definitions of elite...

IMO if you're top 10 at your position (top 5 for QB), you should be considered elite.

If an elite player has to be able to completely take over a game like you're saying, then outside of QBs and JJ Watt, pretty much no player is elite.

So I disagree there... I'd say there are about 100 elite players in the league. Considering that there are roughly 1700 players in the league in a given year, the top 100 (maybe even more than that) would be elite territory IMO.

I think you're considering elite players to only be first ballot Hall of Famers. There are plenty of elite players right now who will either not make the HoF or won't be first ballot guys.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

one of the more exciting teams in sports right now

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

BANDWAGONER!!!

• LOL LOL x 1
  4. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

Something everyone is missing from PFF is they created this list purely based on a formula. As pointed out earlier, they explain their grading system here:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

It looks at stats from every single snap. Not just yards, TDs, tackles, sacks, etc. After reading the reasons for their grades, it makes way more sense why they gave Peyton Manning an 'Average' rating because when you added all those weeks starting with the Rams game around week 9 or 10, he doesnt look like a good or even elite player we have always considered him to be. And maybe if he had continue his elite play from the first half of the season, he wouldnt be on the average list, but when you look at the season as a whole, I can see the logic.

I think a list like this makes you see players from a totally different perspective. I really enjoyed reading the section for the Titans as it wasn't based on a fan or popularity contest like most NFL ranking list are. The Titans write up was the honest truth.

While I could write up a whole article about why Jurrell Casey is an elite player. His data used for this ranking couldn't put him as elite. Same with Walker. I imagine the yards & points given up on defense and the lack of snaps on offense had a lot to do with why they both didn't grade as elite. Plus Walker lost time from injury for part of the season too.

I am glad they are both on the team and clearly they are players we can build around, but we need A LOT of help.

Never can I remember an off season where I felt the team had this many holes to fill.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I would not give these guys money to tell me Marqueston Huff is as good as Kendall Wright...who they think is as good as Levitre. Clearly, the grading is poor! If Walker's blocking kept him from being Elite, then Jimmy Graham is also NOT an elite TE as he's about the worst run blocking TE in the league. And Julian Thomas is also a sub-par run blocker. Are there any elite TE's?

Thanks for sharing, but I save my money for valueable things.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. kenny

kenny Starter

I love Casey the guy is hands down our best player IMO. That being said, he had an off year. He was not as dominant as we was last year. I am really hoping it was the switch to DE. He still made some nice plays, but he missed more tackles than he should have. The entire defense did, but when it is the one guy you expect to play well it stands out more to me. A lot of people will not agree, but I think he needs to have a much better year next year to even be thought of in an elite group. As for this year, he was not elite. No one on the team was.

I agree with Gut that if anyone was it was Walker.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

How is Walker not Elite? He's a solid run blocker (better than Julian Thomas and Jimmy Graham), had top 5 yards and was 2nd in ypc? His TD's aren't comparable because he's on the worst offense in the league. But for his opportunities, he was a top 5 TE for sure.

Casey is an elite player though he wasn't as good as he was last year. Then again, he DOES get doubled teamed with no pass rush threat next to him.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

What impact do you expect out of a 3-4 DE not named Watt?

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

There is a lack of understanding by the PFF people on what it takes to be a good defense. We don't run a traditional 3-4 with 2 gap DL taking up blockers so our LB's can't simply run to the ball. We are playing a 1 gap system so you really rely on everyone doing the proper run fits. This is so much more important when you have a penetrating DL like Casey because if the LB's don't fill the hole that develops, you give up yards. Casey could do a GREAT job with penetration that with the right fits would be a TFL. But we were very up and down in our fits against the run. At times we were good, at times we were poor, and at times we were just too darn tired from being on the field all game. Casey is unlikely to get back to as many tackles in a game but his sacks should improve with a dominant pass rusher next to him. We didn't have that so he got doubled a lot in passing situations. Which is why we need to upgrade our OLB's as pass rushers. Without help and in the position he's in, he'll have problems being considered elite by anyone who doesn't watch the team....which is most of the NFL.

10. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

Are we still being bitter about them labeling us the worst roster talent wise in the league?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar