ESPN says Titans gave up

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans were deservedly abused before Monday Night Football:

Keyshawn Johnson: “You start by saying … it looked like they quit to me. Now, you say, how do you quit as a professional football player, being paid? … You quit because for one, you came to a town where it’s snowing. You didn’t expect for it to be snowing. Not only that, you’re 0–5. You really have nothing to play for but pride. Not everybody quit. There were a few guys that were out there playing … but when you’re 0–5, and you know there’s no playoffs coming, chances are a lot of people have backed up the U-Haul and started to think about what’s going to happen next season, what’s going to happen in the offseason. That’s just the way it is.”

Tom Jackson: “It’s hard for me to relate to this because you can lose as long as I don’t see a lack of effort. And I agree. Collectively, the team quit … (But) I’m going to point out a guy (who didn’t quit). Keith Bulluck, who I’m a real fan of at linebacker, he makes 14 tackles over the course of a game … and he is hustling to make plays. Putting his nose in there, sticking it in and he’s got the attitude that he is embarrassed and angry about what is happening to his football team. That’s the attitude that I had when I played. I don’t know that other attitude. I don’t know how to go out there and quit, and I don’t know how it happens to a Jeff Fisher-coached team. That really is the mystery to me.”

Cris Carter: “I know it’s not a reflection on him. This is what you have when you have a bunch of guys that have nothing to play for, and guys don’t want to get hurt. That’s what you see. When guys don’t want to get hurt, they shy away from the pile, they move a little bit slower.”

Mike Ditka: “This defensive secondary is absolutely horrible. And I understand they have injuries, but they’re horrible. They don’t fit. They don’t do anything right. They don’t cover. They don’t do anything right right now. That’s why they’re getting burned.”

Carter: “Me and Key(shawn) can play free and strong safety and get nine people on campus here at ESPN and Tom Brady will not go throw the ball for 29 out of 34 (like he did) yesterday. It was ridiculous what they did … Guy dropping straight back, didn’t even want to cover people. Wes Welker and them were shocked, they were so wide open.”

Chris Berman: “No pro team should lose 59–0? That’s USC against Brown.”

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

The hell it's not a reflection on Fisher. It's ALL on him. He's suppose to be the "players coach" and motivator.
    Why is he the teflon-coach of the NFL...?

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I know it looks like the team gave up, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that 2 rookie corners would give up. Those guys are fighting to establish a career. It seems far more likely that they just had no idea what to do (which is the fault of the coaching staff), not that they didn't feel like covering Moss or Welker.

To me, it seems like giving up is more of a "disgruntled veteran who is upset at the way the season is going and who wants the coach to be fired" move.

Has anyone gone back to watch the game and looked for specific players who gave up? Who are we talking about here? Griffin? Hope? The D-line?

4. customtitan

customtitan Special Teams Standout

teflon-coach! classic, if i knew how to high five i would.

i'll never understand where this crap comes from, he's so medicore its rediculious and people think he's a god.... some guys always get a pass

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Outside of one play in which Mouton seemed confused, our vet S's are the problem...but the bigger problem goes back to our pass rush. When we blitz and expect to get pressure so we try to jump the route...the pressure DOESN'T get there so we leave a guy wide open! On the flea flicker, Hope can NOT let Moss by him. TACKLE HIM if you're suckered that much. You let him by you and you know it's a TD. And on the blitz, our CB's were off but looked to jump a quick route...the CB (Mouton I think) went forward towards Moss. Moss ran right by him and put his hand up. We were playing zone across the field. Griffin made the right play...now anticipating Brady would throw the Go route so he aggressively moved towards Moss. Moss had time to reach the back of the endzone and then run 5 yds in...turning Griff around. If we have no pressure even with a blitz, playing zone will not work unless the QB is looking to throw a HOT route. With a supreme QB like Brady who trusts his OL, he's gonna kill you.

But yes, certain players on this team did NOT give max effort and some basically quit. It's easy to see who DIDN'T quit because in the 2nd half, those are the guys making the tackles. Even still, I saw a lack of max effort from players like Hope during the game even though he wasn't one of the quitters. Even though Bulluck is FAR from the problem on this D, he is the only guy I see who CAN and NEEDS to make a statement play...whether i be with a key INT or Sack or hit in the secondary...he's got to rise above his already good level of play and do something spectacular. It doesn't appear our DL is capable of it and without a rush, our secondary is a bit lost. Perhaps when Finny gets back he can make a big difference with an INT and return it for a TD.

In short, something good has to happen on defense and it better happen early in our next game or we may see more of the same!

As for the rest, it's simple. If the team looks like this at the end of the year, Fisher and coaching staff is gone. If they look significantly better and ready to get back to playing 13-3 level ball, Fisher and co. stay. But with the way they are going, it looks like Fisher doesn't even have 50/50 odds at this point...especially since no one is being held accountable and no major changes appear to be on the horizon. This is not a problem that will fix itself...it only gets worse!

Gut

6. amy

amy Starter

Some players are lost rookies, some are disgruntled, some are lazy, and some who should lead are not doing it. Stir in incompetent coaching and there you have it! This team has so much wrong with it that only a major overhaul will right it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

They were talking about Denver last night... and how teams often take on the personality of their coach. (Insert disbelief that I'm saying anything good about Denver). They said McDaniels brings an intensity to the meetings and on the sideline and the Broncos have been feeding off that.

Going back to the end of last season I wondered if Fisher's even personality was causing the players to look a little lethargic - especially starting in the Ravens playoff game. I'm even more convinced now. They look like a team that listened to "Hakuna Matata" in the locker room before each game. No intensity. No emotion. No worries.

8. LegolElf

LegolElf Camp Fodder

That is by far the most valid point I've seen about all this yet. The team is fed this even keel "it'll be ok if you keep working" line week after week, and it keeps getting worse. Fisher needs to turn into coach DOOM these next two weeks and put some fear in them and tell them they suck and fire them up. Show some emotion. Act like you care. Etc, etc.

I don't really see it happening, but we need a drastic change like that. A young coach who would show some intensity and use VY and CJ to their strengths as a starting point to the offense, and use our defense a different way would be great. A change may need to happen, even though I've been against it this whole time. If we don't turn this around, then I'm convinced it's on the coaching staff.

9. TygerNeo

TygerNeo Camp Fodder

Man, when you lose 59 zip of course the team quit; no insight there.

10. iQon

iQon Starter

I agree, a lot of players quit, some started in the 2nd half of the Colts game. Most looked like they were going through the motions. What Antonio Pierce said about Oakland, I felt the same on Sunday.

I give credit to Keith Bulluck more than anyone. I saw pride from him. And I may be overlooking others, it was hard to watch. But overall, very disappointed in this team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar