ESPN's Clayton givin titans some love...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTFO my pancakz

GTFO my pancakz S.D.M.F.

Well it would get there attention.

2. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

refs are refs...they make bad calls..deal with it. our boys didnt come to play that day. plain and simple. and personally, i am cool with not having the national media all over the titans. when that happens we are on the radar...let us come in under it..

3. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

The last time I checked, most everyone agreed with my assessment. I'm sure they unlike you, understand my point of view and that's the reason they aren't arguing with me like you are, not because they aren't paying attention.
    The only reason I've kept bringing it up is because you keep arguing/debating it. There's nothing to debate. I'm just stating what everyone already knows; the officiating was horrible in that game, we didn't lose that game because of the horrible officiating.
    I did offer something better. I guess I'll have to rehash it.
    Review every questionable play. Give the coaches more challenges.
    And if they are going to sissy out with all these new 'safety' rules, then they need to be much stricter on players who commit these types of fouls...i.e. Reed and accomplice not only gets ejected from that game, he gets suspended for the next game. If they are going to crack down, crack down consistently.
    Anyway, I digress. I personally do not have any problem whatsoever with the extra stoppages these would take, but I'm not the one who makes those decisions.
    There is my suggestion. It makes sense to me, but I'm not the one who schdedules these events.

Sorry, but most every football fan that I know, that has been a fan for more than a few seasons, agrees with me that the officiating HAS been horrible the past few seasons.

Yeah, but I didn't say 'a number of things' did I? I said what if you kill somebody. Even if it is manslaughter, you're still going to jail. First offense or not.

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Oh they did something all right...Jake Scott was flagged with a 15 yard unnecessary roughness penalty for pushing Ed Reed away from CJ as he attempted to break him in half. That whole effing game was absolutely gut wrenching to sit thru, maybe even worse then the Super Bowl....

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Pretty sure there are more people saying "bad calls happen, deal with it" than are saying this is UNACCEPTABLE. I have no problem with you arguing for an alternate system, as you did in this post, but that isn't what you've been doing. You've been complaining just to complain, and that doesn't get anyone anywhere. I'm all about constructive solutions, not whining.

I'm very impressed that most football fans you know have the same opinion that you do. Maybe that's because, as you said in PM, you don't care about people who don't agree with your point of view. That may be why you think "everyone" agrees with you.

That's true, you used an extreme example. Not the equivalent of a non-call in an NFL game. However, even in your extreme example, it's not correct. You can kill someone and not go to jail. There are MANY defenses, lesser charges, etc, that can lead to someone killing someone else and not getting a prison sentence. But that's beside the point, the point is that there ARE consequences for refs, because a grading system is in place. In fact, I'd say there are too many consequences. Hochuli's law office had to have their phones shut down for two days after that game, and he got over 20,000 emails about it. Considering he's one of the highest graded refs over the last five years, I'd say that's a little ridiculous.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I know this has been stated here and by other people, but I'll just state that full time, higher paid referee's would be my solution.

And hold them more accountable. If it was a full time profession I think that would be done.

I do think the officiating was particularly bad last season, but over the last few seasons, the playoff officiating has been extremely inconsistent. It's really disappointing to me.

That said, they are human, they make mistakes.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

You know, I've heard that said, and I've parroted it before, but I'm beginning to question what effect it would have. I don't think that the issues that are happening with calls are because the refs don't understand the rules, or because they are underqualified. I think it's more of a result of having to make a split second decision based on sensory perception over and over again, with so little margin for error. I'd like to see more public information on percentages of bad calls, what calls are more likely to have an error, and the like.

8. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

i dont see the big deal, if Boldin didnt get hurt nothing would have ever been said

dude was just doing his job as a defender, and doing it well i suppose, Boldin did drop the ball, so NO touchdown

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

This may be my sig for the entire '09 season. :yes:

10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I'm just making matter of fact statements. Not whining. And it's disappointing that you lack the mental capacity to differentiate between the two.
    I've offered a solution, yet to my surprise :rolleyes:, you come up with ways that it won't work.

Everyone doesn't agree with me all the time. But from the posts in this tread, most everyone can agree that the calling was sh**ty and UNACCEPTABLE in that game. A trained monkey could go back through this thread and verify that in the posts. You just go ahead and continue to think what you want. I'll do the same.

Hmmmm...the 20,000 people (that's 19,999 more people than YOU) that called in didn't seem to think it was a little ridiculous.
    I guess according to your logic, we should bow down to the refs when they mess up and kiss their bottoms when one of their missed calls cost one team a fairly sure victory, huh???
    True, people do make mistakes, but when you are getting paid millions to do your job (i.e. players), the people paying you expect a very narrow margin for error. That should be expected of the refs as well.
    Stop using that stupid *ss excuse of 'people make mistakes'. This isn't pee wee football, buddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar