Everybody Else Tired of O-Line Jumping for Offsides, Too?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RealestWhiteBoy, Dec 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealestWhiteBoy

RealestWhiteBoy World Champion

I absolutely HATE when the offensive lineman purposely moves at any movement of the defense to draw the free 5 yards. Is it just me, or does it make WAY more sense to coach your o-line to stop the stupid crap?

If the o-line doesn't move, then you get a free play and you still have the 5-yard penalty in your back pocket if the free play falls flat. By forcing the refs to make the call pre-snap, you are robbing your team of a free shot to the endzone. Why is this a trend in recent years, and why do coaches put up with it?

2. LiLTex12

LiLTex12 Starter

Well how do you know you will get the free play? What if the center doesn't hike it and the defender gets back on sides?

Why would you not want to take the automatic 5, instead of hoping your snap count happens to come when the player is offsides. If you just hike it because the player is offsides, the rest of the line may not be ready, the receivers may not be ready and get a late start, and that may end up getting your quarterback absolutely hammered if just one defender gets the free run at the quarterback.

I'll always be in favor of the o line jumping up when a player goes off sides. No one gets hurt, and you're guaranteed 5 yards.

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I hate it when other teams do it to us, i love it when we do it.

4. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

What I hate is how the Linemen stand up and start finger pointing at the slightest finger and body twitches.

5. RealestWhiteBoy

I remember the 90s and early 2000s, teams just quick snap it and get the free play ... at that time moving wasnt even an option, if you moved it was a false start. That use to be the bug advantage to the snap count and hard count. I don't remember any crazy plays where a bunch of people getting injured doing it, but maybe they were? I'm always in favor of a free play to the end zone.

But the way the rules are, it baffles me when the Packers get all their free plays during substitutions for offsides. When rodgers attempts that, why not just turn back towards the field and run towards rodgers? Would that not stop the play for unabated to the QB? And if not, then just drill him ... give 10 extra yards on the penalty for roughness, but after a couple of them hits, he won't be trying that anymore for the day. :p

6. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

If the same defender did it twice, it could result in an ejection.

7. RealestWhiteBoy

I don't believe so. I think that's only 2 dead ball personal fouls. This wouldn't be deadball. He forced you into 12 on the field, so 12 can play the snap.

8. RealestWhiteBoy

Just double checked, the ejection rule is specifically for 2 unsportsmanlike conducts: taunting, excessive celebration, scuffle between plays, any punch or kick thrown, etc.

It doesn't cover most thing between the whistles: roughing passer, facemask, tripping, targeting a defenseless reciever, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Dude for the Dolphins got 2 targetings last night and no talk of ejection.

10. Subjugation

Subjugation Starter

speaking of which, im absolutely sick of the Jets sucking as bad as they do. WTF. We need that 5th pick, they need to win another game. I mean they get curb stomped by Matt Moore? Does their sucking know no bounds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar