Evolution or devolution the real numbers on how the nfl has changed..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

That is interesting. Other good stats to see are the average pass completion %, and average yards per attempt, to see how those have evolved.

Just from my memory (which, unfortunately, does go back a ways), I remember the passing game in the 70s being more downfield (not as crazy as the Mad Bomber AFL days, but still pretty long). While exciting, the actual % of successful passes was lower than today. A good completion percentage back then was over 50%, and if you were completing 60% you were competing for All Pro status.

My guess is that people view the modern league as more of a passing league is because there are more successful pass plays now than there were in the past, and the pass play is more sexy on screen. JMO.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

lol

I wish the little guy would have held out all of 2011 like he threatened too. I suspect his music was actually causing deaths and BA felt pretty real bad about that

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Vince Lombardi said that running the football tends to make a team "more hard nosed". Don't know if he invented the term hard nosed but it does something to a team when all they do is line up and throw the ball.

You had the run n shoot craze in the 90s and 2 games basically put it to an end. The Oilers falling apart and giving up that lead to the Bills and there was a similar game between the Redskins and the Lions when the Lions could not hold very large lead.

With the talent those Oiler teams had did they really need a gimmick offense to succeed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar