Experts hating on CJ going in the 1st RD.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by karamello, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karamello

karamello Camp Fodder

There are very few "experts" whose opinion I trust. I use to like Mike Mayock but listening to him say that CJ bounces everything outside and then I watch clip after clip (and not just TD highlites) and he clearly has no problem hitting the hole...and you wonder..are the other tapes he's watching that different? Then you hear this crap of he's not very big. WHAT!!??
    Here's a list of not so big RB's
    Chris Johnson 5-11 200

Emmitt Smith 5-9 210
    Barry Sanders 5-8 200
    Marshall Faulk 5-10 210
    Brian Westbrook 5-9 203
    Reggie Bush 5-11 203
    Maurcie Jones-Drew 5-6 208
    Tatum Bell 5-11 210
    Joseph Addai 5-10 210
    Marshawn Lynch 5-10 210

And not to mention Felix Jones is 5-10 200 and I don't think he posted the same kinda powerlifting numbers CJ did. But was there much mention about his size? And I've seen several clips of him running over Db's, boucing off LB's, running the DT's arms.

Then you get the "well he did play the best competition at ECU". Really...games versus Va Tech, North Carolina n such are fairly good competition. Also, If memory serves me right Reggie Bush didn't have his famous 500+ all purpose night versus Texas. It was against Fresno St.?! Most of Bush's best games were against sub par talent. When they came up against teams like Texas or Oklahoma, it rarely was Bush carrying the team. Now that might be because there was more talent at USC around him but that may lend more credence to what Johnson did at ECU.

I really wanted the Titans to draft CJ. Didn't think it would be in the 1st but who cares. If the guy you want is available and you don't' think he will be based on some knowledge you just got...get'em. Right now he can do a lot more for the Titans than a WR probably could. Although I still think one shoulda been drafted in the 2nd. Sweed woulda been sweet but I'm starting to want the Titans to get away from the Texas connection. Scaife, Hall, then Sweed, then who...we hire their OC to be QB coach. I like Hawk and hopefully the guys there are getting as good as Fish says they are.

Go get that '08 OROY Chris.

2. TM

TM Starter

Many of the people who are criticizing the pick of CJ also had the Titans taking Limas Sweed as the Titans first round pick.

Unless you believe that Johnson would have fallen to us in the second round, its clear that Sweed would have been the bigger first round reach.

There's lots of irony on display when these experts and posters criticize the pick of Chris Johnson.

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Whats wrong with bouncing outside? you run into less defenders and most of the time you got about 2 guys you have to get past and with CJ's speed it shouldnt be a problem.

Let LenDale run it up the middle, let CJ run it outside.

4. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

You can't run outside all the time (eventually they'll just move the outside linebackers a little off the ends). I do wish we had drafted Sweed, and I think we would have but Pittsburg took him. I guess we'll never know though. The Hawk should be good.

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Fans, analysts and media types talk a good game about drafting BPA...but when it comes down to it, they're only interested in drafting for need.

In 2006, the Titans' D-line was lousy, and was perceived as a signficant area of need. The Titans disagreed; they made DL a low priority in their draft strategy, and went into the season with essentially the same D-line from the previous year. How'd that work out?

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

and it only took albert haynesworth being the best DT in football for that to happen.

7. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

See reggie bush when it comes to running outside. I don't think cj will be an excellent runner without lendale in the game to keep the defense honest up the middle. I expect most of his production to come on screens and passing plays.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Why do people say this? It doesn't matter where that player falls because every pick changes the draft order. IF Buffalo took Devin Thomas who they were very high on, then maybe 5 WR's would've been taken in the first. You can't go by where a player is drafted you go by what positions are being taken off the board quick so you better get one which is exactly what the Titans did with CJ and the 4 RB's drafted before him.

9. jessestylex

If Chris Johnson turns out to be an amazing player, will anyone trust experts again?

10. jessestylex

That would open up running space for Vince Young and free up Alge Crumpler more often.

either way it's a win win for the Titans offence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar