Face-Off: Prince Amukamara vs. Patrick Peterson

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by xpmar9x, Jan 4, 2011.

?
  1. Prince Amuakamara

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Patrick Peterson

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Looking at the #8 overall spot, the Titans could be wanting to take cornerback. We had the 29th worst pass defense this year (thanks Cecil). Cortland Finnegan was extremely physical, but gives up the deep ball (alot). Cortland is still a good player, but is not a legit corner by any means. Rookie Alterraun Verner came in and impressed me alot, he's much better than anyone projected. However, he's far from an elite corner.. he registered 100+ tackles this year. Jason McCourty was streaky this year, but shows some promise. Now you add an elite corner to the mix of these guys and we're set.

So the best cornerback prospects in the draft are Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara by a long shot. Both played in large conferences and played against good teams. Who would you rather have?

Patrick Peterson
    (6'1 - 220 Junior from LSU, runs roughly a 4.35)
    [​IMG]

Stats:
    2008- 41 tackles, 1 INT, 3 PDs
    2009- 52 tackles, 2 INTs, 15 PDs
    2010- 36 tackles, 4 INTs, 6 PDs
    *Defensive tackle statistics are not considered official. (according to ESPN)

Draws comparison to Charles Woodson. Patrick Peterson is the best cover corner in college football. Peterson utilizes his good athletic ability and high football IQ to have a major impact on the field. Also can return very well. Not extremely fluid with his hips and footwork.

Prince Amukamara
    (6'1 - 205 Senior from Nebraska, runs roughly a 4.45)
    [​IMG]

Stats:
    2008- 34 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 1 sack
    2009- 64 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 5 INTs, 11 PDs
    2010- 59 tackles, ? tackles for loss, 1 sack, 0 INTs, 12 PDs
    *Defensive tackle statistics are not considered official. (according to ESPN)

Draws comparison to a legit shut-down corner: Nnamdi Asomugha. Prince is a big physical corner, best suited for man coverage schemes. Once was a runningback, has great vision and ball skills. Also has amazing hips and cornerback movement. A concern is Amukamara’s top end speed. He is quick and has good short bursts but may not have the straight line speed to stay with NFL receivers on deep routes.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I can't see the Titans taking a corner.

With that said, I prefer Peterson's upside, though he did get gashed by an above-average Derrick Moye from Penn State.

3. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I voted Prince...his upside isn't quite as high as Peterson's, but he is more of a sure thing. I think the comparison to Nnamdi is dead on.

4. Shanvhere

Shanvhere Elite

I don't see a QB option!

5. 24

24 Starter

Peterson, for sure. He just won't be there. Good scouting reports on both. Amukamara is going to have trouble on comebacks, play fakes, and double moves. He doesn't have the elite burst to explode on the ball, like Peterson. But, it's clear he has good technique, fluid hips, and decent run support.

Great video of Amukamara against Blackmon, two first rounders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVeWn3bwWTg&feature=player_embedded

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

It's got to be the guy with the better hips and foot work. It doesn't matter how fast you are if you're flailing all over the place to run with the guy you're covering. Nnamdi won't win very many foot races but you can't complete a pass against him.

7. 24

24 Starter

Nnamdi still runs in the 4.4s (maybe faster), plus he has the advantage of slowing WRs down with his long arms. Peterson won't be able to flip his hips as quickly as Prince, but he's still an athletic beast. His hips are very good, just not elite, and he makes up for it with speed. He would probably struggle covering the Y receiver, but how often do you see the #1 on the Y? I feel like it's becoming like last year, when some people started ranking McCoy over Suh. It's not even an argument, IMO.

8. xpmar9x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leX0rYpk9wc

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Peterson.

The more and more I think about it though, we must take a QB... I'd be willing to trade up to #1 and get Luck... even if it means giving up a lot.

10. xpmar9x

That's because were talking about who's the better CB. :nana3:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar