Falcon's crazy move...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Yeah it's weird. Every now and then he just does that in random threads.

Definitely was the true shocker of the draft. And I don't even think Riverman or anyone else touting up Julio in the last few days would agree with such a lopsided trade.

Not good for the Falcons.

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yeah this one was a head scratcher. I would be furious if I were a Falcons fan. I just don't see how their FO thought WR was that big of a need for them. Of course I don't follow them very closely. But they have already have Roddy White and I know for a fact they have defensive issues. Whatever. Good for the Browns.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It is obvious they want to balance the field and have a guy opposite to White much in the same way Manning had Wayne and Harrison. But they could have done that with a little lesser talent who was still an upgrade over what they had at #2. Now other areas of the team will certainly suffer with the loss of some pretty good draft picks this year and next. I'm not sure what White's contract status is so maybe that played into it but still, it makes no sense. The other side of a big move like that is what if Jones gets hurt or isn;t the player they thought he was? There is always that chance and instead of losing just one draft pick on a dud they basically lost two drafts.

4. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I think Julio will flourish in this offense to be honest. The price was steep (Not Ricky Williams/Mike Ditka steep) but steep.

I have watched many Falcon games throughout the years and they are finally getting it together with Matt Ryan and Co. But if you watched them last year, they were a very conservative offense that clearly lacked a playmaker outside of White and Turner. Tony is slowing down and can no longer spread the field. I wanted them to pick Kyle Rudolph.

Only time will tell if this is a bad trade or not. If only if they could have kept their 2nd this year, it would have been alot more acceptable.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

After Nick Fairley to the Lions, and Ponder to the Vikings, Julio Jones to the Falcons was the surprise of the night for sure. I loved the pick for Atlanta. They've got a lot invested in Matt Ryan, give the guy the tools to be a super star.

6. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

If it's true that they made the same pitch to the Bengals, and the Bengals said no, then the Bengals are officially the dumbest franchise in the history of sports.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Obviously time will tell if this was truly a bonehead move or a good move but for what Atlanta gave up Jones will need to be HOF quality to really get value IMO.

My main issue with it is the risk factor. That is just too much to give up for one player. If that one player isn't as good as you expect or has injury issues the team is screwed. Also, the perception in these drafts is you really get a much better player in the top 10 than you get maybe in the bottom 10 of the 1st round. Is that really true? The Colts had one of the best two WRs in league history in Harrison and Wayne. Harrison was the #19 pick in his draft and Wayne was the 30th. Atlanta already had Roddy White, a guy they found at the 27 spot in the 1st round (he was 2nd in the NFL in recieving yards last year). Dewayne Bowe was the 23rd pick when KC got him. Greg Jennings is one of the best WRs in the NFL and he was a 2nd round pick. DeSean Jackson was a 2nd rounder. The bottom line is they whould have stayed where they were and if a WR worthy of their pick was their, like Baldwin or Little, you take him. In reality the ceiling on those guys is about the same as Jones but if they bomb out you don't lose as much. IMO WRs are as big of a crap shoot as any position in football.

The other issue to think about is FA. I'd pay Vincent Jackson before I paid Jones AND gave up all those picks.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. OhioTitan

OhioTitan GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!

^ looks like eric hit the wrong button there

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Clearly that time of the month for Erick. :)

The Falcons are the draft idiots for this dumb trade. I thought Julio was actually really good. I didn't realize he drops passes more than T.O... Passes that I could catch. I like how Gruden just trashed him after the pick. Might as well have traded all the way to 4 to get AJ Green who is a sure thing.

I smell bust.

10. Sir_Titan

Sir_Titan Day 1 Titan

Clearly, I'm impressed with the fact that there is a 'bird' with such stature that has the ability to take a big one up the *ss like that. Bravo Atlanta!.. that must have hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar