Favorite Guitar Players..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Top five sounds like a nice round number..
    Post your faves and why...
    Pics are nice too...

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

jimi hendrix
    [​IMG]

synyster gates
    [​IMG]

aaron abraham
    [​IMG]

3. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Jaco Pastorius...Probably the best bass guitarist ever.

4. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Hooboy...lemme see...*goes to get refill*...

Frank Gambale-
    Here's a guy who can speed riff the hell out of anybody, and chooses not to do so, opting for textural voicings instead. Arguably the inventor of the sweep/rake. I can pick him out of any fusion recording....unless it's Scott Henderson trying to sound like Frank Gambale.
    Frank always tops my list. Thankfully he got rid of that dead weight known as Chick Corea.

EVH-
    Damn, too bad what alcoholism and ego can do to a man who was once the absolute king of rock guitar. His band's debut album influenced millions upon millions of young guitarists, who unfortunately repaid the debt by forming hair bands in LA in the 1980's. You'd be amazed at how many diehard fans don't know that he had a band before Sammy Hagar showed up.

David Gilmour-
    Through both mic and amp, Gilmour is the true golden throat of Pink Floyd. Tone, baby, TONE!! And his sense of melody is fantastic. Think of any Floyd song...now, sing the lead break.
    See how smooth and effortless it is? His leads just fall right into your psyche and build a home there.
    It's a shame that his lyrical content is abysmal...almost (but not quite) bad enough to tolerate Roger Waters.

SRV-
    Okay, I know what you're thinking: "But, Avvie!! You HATE blues!" And you'd be right. But the difference between Stevie Ray Vaughn and every other hack-azzed blues player (including Billy Gibbons) is that Stevie MEANT every note. Every single one. I have never heard one single unintended note in any riff he ever played. Each note in the riff was chosen for content. Okay, well, except for that time that someone tried to push and squeeze him onto a David Bowie record....dumbest idea ever. Does SRV look like he wants to dance? :irked:
    But, it looks like I'd better get used to blues-based rock whether I like it or not, because this Thursday I'm auditioning for Willie Nelson's band's local project. Neat.

Okay, last one....no shredders...don't care nothing for Yngwie, Petrucci, Satch, Vai, Johnson, et al...I like unique...so it's....surprise!

Pete Townshend-
    No, you probably never bothered looking for a tab sheet from this guy. His style was about nothing but sheer attitude. Instrumental in developing the Marshall amp. Penned dozens of songs ad nauseum as a hero of the Mod movement in '63, and kept rivals Kinks and Rolling Stones on their toes in those days.
    On a personal note, I never sat down to learn Who songs...but a couple of years ago I picked up my acoustic while the 1992 concert version of "Tommy" was playing on the DVD...I jammed along with them, and noticed that my playing style was CLEARLY influenced by Towenshend. This is probably why i never wanted to learn shred songs.

Okay, how was that?

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

6. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Couldn't get it down to 5, so here are 6 in order

Dickey Betts - The Allman Brothers Band

[​IMG]

Scott Gorham - Thin Lizzy

[​IMG]

Craig Fuller - Pure Prairie League, American Flyer, Little Feat

[​IMG]

7. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Ry Cooder - Well, basically he's played with everybody

[​IMG]

Ed King - Lynyrd Skynyrd

[​IMG]

Audley Freed - Cry of Love, Black Crowes, but mostly for the Cry of Love album Diamonds and Debris

[​IMG]

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Cool..

Son seals.....electric bluesman, pride of osceola arkansas!

Brian may.....Queen guitar player plays with a guitar he and his dad made in 1965.

Wes montgomery....pioneering hard bop jazz man. His double jointed thumb produced a style not easy to duplicate.. Go see him on you tube..

John McLaughlin.....Jazz fusion player who first appeared on the scene in miles davis' pivotal fusion album *****es brew. Started his own fusion band that spawned a host of great fusion players like jon luc ponty and billy cobham.

Steve howe....rock band yes..

Honorable mention.. Hendrix and clapton. Great players but i don't listen to them as much. And of course creeping cruds the finest undead player of our generation!

9. Cronus

Cronus I once ruled the universe

Well since I play guitar this is a very big thing with me...

1) Joe Satriani
    [​IMG]
    I have always been a huge fan of his
    2) Eddie Van Halen
    [​IMG]
    Yeah hes a jerk but he's an innovative talented one LOL
    3)Ace Frehley
    [​IMG]
    Who hasnt played air guitar to a Kiss song LOL
    4)Neal Schon
    [​IMG]
    Always loved his playing with Journey
    5)Tom Scholz
    Boston guiatrist

These are the guys I grew up listening to and idolizing, and incidently my music sounds alot like LOL

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Victor Wooten
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUkETBD8Qag"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUkETBD8Qag" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar