Finally a good McNair article that makes sense.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 954titan, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Then I did misunderstand you. We don't agree. IMO, this isn't going to tarnish his image as a football player or a man of the community.
    If you think people, 'specially around here, are going to demonize him for this, think again.

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

About Half? Probably not, but even so, Do you consider these people heroes? or even good people necessarily? Most likely not. Therefore, it does have an impact on his legacy of Steve being an upstanding individual, truth be told.

He was cheating on the woman he was cheating on his wife with. That is an accomplishment. It's not being killed by that woman that tarnishes his image as a person, it's that he got caught cheating by the world.

And you're right that it doesn't have an impact on his football legacy. But I would think Steve valued his personal legacy more than his football legacy. It's a shame that it ended up the way it did.

3. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

It wasn't how he died which gives him the * for me in the history of great football players, it was the result; 4 fatherless children that lost their dad because he cheated, that is the real sad part. His children are probably the ones who miss him the most but if my dad cheated on my mom and then died in result, I would be pretty pissed at him for making that decision. People now will remember Michael Vick for what he did, I say leaving 4 children fatherless is up there with dog fighting.

In Steves defense, the girl snapped and I guess from what I have heard he could not have seen that coming. However, from first glance through my eyes what he did should leave a mark on what he accomplished as the football player we knew him as.

I agree with most of this article but to say his death should not affect his legacy is a bit of a stretch for me.

4. 954titan

954titan Camp Fodder

Like the article said he wasnt a world famous marraige counsler he was a famous football player. He didnt win the husband of the year award he won a MVP. So that should be what he is know for. We dont know anything about his private life and we shouldnt, hence the term private. No denying its sad..but that nobodies bussiness other then his and his family. If any you out there are perfect then by all means feel free to judge. But if your not perfect dont be mad because he wasnt either.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

The only woman he was cheating on, was his wife. Period.
    He apparently never had any intention of moving in with Sahel or divorcing his wife for her.
    If you're dating a married man/woman and you know he's married, you waive your right to complain about his/her infidelity; you apparently also give up the common sense knowledge of: If they can do it to their partner/spouse, they can just as easily do it to you (who is even less a part of their life than their spouse).

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

In 1 year no one will even remember Sahel's name. Over the years as retrospectives run on ESPN and NFL Network we will see play after play of Steve on the field, under center. The stories his former teammates and coaches will tell will all be about the man and the quarterback.

His death and everything surrounding it will be put back in perspective - as a minor footnote to the real story of his life and his career. It's just a matter of time.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Unfortunately, your private life will tarnish or shine your image. That's just how it works. The only loophole is if you have an opportunity for redemption. But very few will ever have that opp. McNair certainly will not. Jordan got away with his gambling, cheating, recovered. Kobe never will get past his mistake, though he gained ground. Barkely's antic's actually seemed to help his legacy. It's a fact of life to me. Whether it's right or wrong, doesn't seem relevant to me, your image will be impacted by the decisions in your life. Your legacy will be changed by it. It's inevitable.

The first time you commit a crime, do something wrong, you don't even think about the consequences when caught, you know what you think of... You think, what will my friends, my family, and people think of me. That's the first sign of guilt. Someone ever says that to you, they probably did it. It's the first reaction. What people think about you is reflected in how you lived your life. Human nature to think that. And it is human nature for people to look at you differently. Inevitable to me. McNair will tarnish a bit.

McNair is more or less forgettable to the general public. So it won't even matter. He's not really HOF eligible to me, so no impact there. 10 years from now McNair will be a whisper.

But I think if he were HOF eligible, it would impact his vote negatively. And I think that is ok. To me, the HOF is about a story. That's why Jerome Bettis does not belong there to me. I ask myself, are you a story worth telling. And if you are, I want you to be a part of the HOF. People go there to remember. To relive. To be entertained. McNair had a little bit of aura, but he never completed the story with a superbowl, therefor he doesn't belong. He was good story gone bad, and that does tarnish. Whatever his legacy, it is one level lower now in eyes of the public. Not because it should be. Just because it is. And he will never have the chance to redeem it. It's done.

Some people benefit from their death. See it all the time. JFK, Lincoln, to name a few. But your death must bring people together that would otherwise be divided. If your death can do that, woah. You become legendary. MJ's death came close to restoring his image. Not quite at the level of JFK or Lincoln, but definately an image enhancer. And primarily because you saw his children, and you saw a more human side to him. With Steve, you saw a human side, but it was an ugly side. An ugly side of life revealed itself in Steve, and the girl.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

His kids will, and I will always will think of them when I think of McNair. Yeah I know its NOMB but people will always remember no matter what you tell them.

9. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

To the people who say this will 'tarnish' or 'ruin' McNair's legacy, I ask you this: How often do you hear Ray Lewis spoke of as a murderer (allegedly) who got off free? How often do you think of Brett Favre as a pill addict and a slouch? How often do you hear of Marvin Harrison as a gang banger who gets involved in shootings? You don't. And I understand that two of those examples occurred before the legacy of that player was made, but the fact remains: 20 years from now people will speak of McNair as a great QB and a tough SOB. The fact that he died in such a terrible manor will probably be mentioned, but he will be remembered as a Quaterback and a Titan. Great article by the way.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. TN TY10 FAN

TN TY10 FAN Camp Fodder

Very good article. Thanks for sharing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar