Fisher and his 'Keep it Close Mentality'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rock8titans, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Is it just me, or is anyone else sick and tired of him saying this about every game. "Our goal is to keep it close and try to win it in the end" After the Colts game that was his usual quote.

Hey Jeff, how about beating a team by more than one score? Keeping the intensity on D, not going conservative on Offense when you have a lead...

IMO this says they're not good enough to beat a team handily, all they can hope for is a close game and steal it in the end. If that's how he is preparing for the game, then that's how the game will be called.

Granted he didn't drop a pass, or fumble a ball in yesterdays game, but I cringe when I hear him say those same words before or after a game.

2. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

That's Fisherball for you.

Kick enough field goals to win the game at the death :grrhee:

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Yet ironically he went for the TDs later in the game and not the FGs, which could have kept it close. I don't have a problem with the approach, yet it might have been better to do it the old way yesterday after all.

The big call I place on him was letting his current disdain for White get in the way of putting him in on the one and spelling CJ, which clearly needed to happen. That's where he lost it all, IMO. After failing to do that, he should have taken the FG. Should have at least faked the handoff right and run the option left once we got further away. But no.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. amy

amy Starter

You have to wonder why he elected to deviate from the 'Fisherball' game plan. He or someone on the staff misread Vince's ability to clutch play. Working one game doesn't insure it will work the following game. So when it didn't work the first time, why did he not elect the FG? Ah, so many questions, too few answers!

5. Titans Blue

Titans Blue Camp Fodder

when u play the colts, FG's will not win you games and fisherball dont work , he was confused

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Fans call Fisher "too conservative" but he goes for the TD in the red zone. Then fans call him out for not taking the FGs.

The Titans were having difficulty stopping the Colts and were down by over 10 points. I don't blame Fisher for taking the shot. Though I question the fade, stupid penalties and poor execution isn't the fault of Fisher.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Fishers ideal offense would have brett kern at qb and rob bironas at rb. That way if he doesn't like the defense, he coud just kick away

8. Titans Blue

Titans Blue Camp Fodder

I agree with you Titan Jeff, I liked the fact at the end of the game he was aggressive with going for the TD. I think at that point even if he took a fieldgoal, you are still down by 11 and need 2 td's anyway so a fieldgoal doesn't do anything anyway, thats how i saw it!

9. Toly

Toly Free your mind

There is a reason why Belichick decided to go for it on that "controversial" fourth down.

Fisher made the right choice IMO to avoid FGs and try to go for the TD every single time. It's really a no brainer when you're facing Manning with one of the worst defenses against the pass. Heck, I'd have probably gone for it on the Titans first drive when they faced 4th & goal at the Colts 2 yard line.

10. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar