fisher fires back

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nickel, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I'm not sure what I think about the "he said, she said" yet.
    Like Nigel said, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Like in every divorce there are 3 sides to the story,
    his, hers, and the truth.

2. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

At the same time.....
    He was the coach when they were still in Houston, during the move, playing in Memphis, and then at Vanderbilt. So it is not like he has not faced adversity or pressure.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

But memphis and vandy are my point, especially Vandy. The people here were just excited to have a team, so the criticism never got to the point it is getting to now. And you have a point about Houston, but he was a young coach then, with a young up and coming team, that he knew was on its way out of Houston anyway. But he has been the toast of the town since he has been here, up until this point, and it strikes me odd that the first time that he starts getting ripped apart by talk radio, and the papers, is also one of the first times he comes out ripping a player. Looks to me like he is trying to save face because he knows if he doesnt turn this around he is going to be gone.

4. mdfan

mdfan Starter

A few points come to mind

Obviously there is more to this story than we will ever be told.

Fisher's statement does warn players not to nag about a trade

I really did hear this one during the Miami Pittsburgh game - it may be total bunk. They were saying that Minnesota had worked out a deal to trade Culpepper to the Titans but he didn't want to come here . They said that he represents himself so there was no agent to leak the story.
    - since Miami signed Culpepper in March I wonder about this story
    -if its true the FO had given up on keeping McNair and made a good effort to truly help our team

5. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

I don't think life has always been that easy.
    Again... everyone has been screaming for weeks that he needed to come out and explain..... he did.
    Those who have decided he needs to be canned = Don't agree or believe his comments and god forbid he stayed quiet, or we would never hear the end of it.
    Those who have not joined the "Fire Fisher Gang" = Believe what he said or at least no there are 2 (or more) sides to every story.
    I don't think it was him saving HIS face, but it is the team's face. If you own a business and an employee leaves and hammers you....you need to respond.
    I like what Hoffa said....when someone slings mud at you, you better react or it will stick to you.

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Im not saying it has been easy, but it most certainly hasnt been this difficult for him since he has been in Nashville for sure, and most likely his entire HC career. He is a proven coach with a good track record. But with that comes expectations, and these last couple of years this team has not lived up to expectations. And in saying that, I think most of us have reasonable expectations. I dont expect this team to be in the superbowl, or even in the playoffs. But I do expect improvement from last season, and I realize it has only been two games, but last weeks game, and the Jax game last year are quite possibly the worst games I have ever watched by an NFL team. And the papers, and the radio shows, are all over it, and it is going to be intestesting to see how he handles this type of pressure and criticism from the Nashville media, because he really hasnt had much of since he has been here.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

which brings up the question, who would you rather have, culpepper or collins/young?

8. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to keep stirring the pot, but I have a thought.

Peter Sirmon and Chris Brown are not the QB. Like it or not, there is a difference in the position. The QB has to be A leader. Perhaps not THE leader, but A. I wonder if that's what Fish meant by "other things" besides the preseason game. They wanted someone whom the entire locker room could crowd around. Bulluck is the guy on D, but no one was there for O. That WAS Steve's job (after #27 left), and perhaps BV didn't get that part when #9 left town.

I'm not saying Collins was the answer just yet, and I can't figure out why he wasn't brought in earlier this summer, but something's just nagging me about it.

Now that THAT'S said: Collins sucks. I hope he gets better, but I cringe every time he cocks his arm back.

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Culp probably had an idea we were taking a QB in the draft. We would have been a horrible team to come back to after the knee surgury. At best he was looking at 1 full season and a second playing tag team starter with Young.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar