Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Fisher has No Plans to Sit Sirmon

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com A living legend.

Moolah:
    $0
    SUMMARY: According to Titans Coach Jeff Fisher, LB Peter Sirmon's job appears safe for now at middle linebacker despite quality play by rookie Stephen Tulloch. "Pete's obviously ahead because he understands the game, the concepts, the coverages, huddle calls and all those kind of things," Fisher said. "Stephen is still learning and he's not a repeat mistake-maker, which is good. He's learning and he's very athletic. He can line up and just instinctively find it without relying on an understanding of the scheme. Sometimes that's good and sometimes that's not good." Tulloch made six tackles while recovering a fumble playing with the second team defense on Saturday.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.
  2. Vigsted Starter

Moolah:
    $1,367
    Bah, I'm starting to come around to RollTide's thinking, maybe Schwartz isn't the only coach who has to go. How can you argue against performance figures?
    Bottom line is Tulloch's been making plays and Sirmon has not; with all that "understanding of the game, the concepts, the coverages, huddle calls and all kind of things" Sirmon should make more plays than Tulloch, but he isn't. And it's not that he is physically slow, he's hesitant and that's a mental problem.
  3. zackmann Guest

• Tip Jar Donor

Gunny Lord and Master

Wright
    Moolah:
    $3,223
    Fishers law - Never bench veterens.
    • Staff / Moderator

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande

Hunter
    Moolah:
    $10,787
    Read Schwartz's comment though? He talks like he is very impressed with Tulloch.

Fisher said Tulloch made a big stride from the first game to the second. It appears that continued last Saturday. I would not be shocked to see him get some reps with the first team Friday night.

Unless they find they need the cap room, I think they'll keep Sirmon. I don't see Fisher taking his job away based on three preseason games. So I can understand why Fisher made the comment he did though I hope he'll consider options if Sirmon doesn't get it together soon.
    • Staff / Moderator

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande

Hunter
    Moolah:
    $10,787
    Read Schwartz's comment though? He talks like he is very impressed with Tulloch.

Fisher said Tulloch made a big stride from the first game to the second. It appears that continued last Saturday. I would not be shocked to see him get some reps with the first team Friday night.

Unless they find they need the cap room, I think they'll keep Sirmon. I don't see Fisher taking his job away based on three preseason games. So I can understand why Fisher made the comment he did though I hope he'll consider options if Sirmon doesn't get it together soon.
  4. Vigsted Starter

Moolah:
    $1,367
    He doesn't need to cut Sirmon, just don't start him. Other teams use preseason to determine starters, why don't we?
    • Staff / Moderator

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande

Hunter
    Moolah:
    $10,787
    The Titans are already paying too much for a part-time defensive player. No way would they keep him if all they wanted to do was use him as a backup and on special teams.

Sirmon's base is around $2.5 mil this season, I believe. If they keep him, they better think he'll do well.
  5. Vigsted Starter

Moolah:
    $1,367
    So? Let him sit and see if Tulloch does better, if so cut Sirmon, if not put him back in as the starter. Just because he has a 2.5 mil base doesn't mean you can't experiment with his position on the team.
    • Tip Jar Donor

Gunny Lord and Master

Wright
    Moolah:
    $3,223
    keeping Sirmon as a starter cos of what he is paid is ridiculous.

We have Cap room, we are not desperate for the money. Bench him then release him at the end of the year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.