Fisher has No Plans to Sit Sirmon

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: According to Titans Coach Jeff Fisher, LB Peter Sirmon's job appears safe for now at middle linebacker despite quality play by rookie Stephen Tulloch. "Pete's obviously ahead because he understands the game, the concepts, the coverages, huddle calls and all those kind of things," Fisher said. "Stephen is still learning and he's not a repeat mistake-maker, which is good. He's learning and he's very athletic. He can line up and just instinctively find it without relying on an understanding of the scheme. Sometimes that's good and sometimes that's not good." Tulloch made six tackles while recovering a fumble playing with the second team defense on Saturday.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Bah, I'm starting to come around to RollTide's thinking, maybe Schwartz isn't the only coach who has to go. How can you argue against performance figures?
    Bottom line is Tulloch's been making plays and Sirmon has not; with all that "understanding of the game, the concepts, the coverages, huddle calls and all kind of things" Sirmon should make more plays than Tulloch, but he isn't. And it's not that he is physically slow, he's hesitant and that's a mental problem.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Fishers law - Never bench veterens.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Read Schwartz's comment though? He talks like he is very impressed with Tulloch.

Fisher said Tulloch made a big stride from the first game to the second. It appears that continued last Saturday. I would not be shocked to see him get some reps with the first team Friday night.

Unless they find they need the cap room, I think they'll keep Sirmon. I don't see Fisher taking his job away based on three preseason games. So I can understand why Fisher made the comment he did though I hope he'll consider options if Sirmon doesn't get it together soon.

5. TitanJeff

Read Schwartz's comment though? He talks like he is very impressed with Tulloch.

Fisher said Tulloch made a big stride from the first game to the second. It appears that continued last Saturday. I would not be shocked to see him get some reps with the first team Friday night.

Unless they find they need the cap room, I think they'll keep Sirmon. I don't see Fisher taking his job away based on three preseason games. So I can understand why Fisher made the comment he did though I hope he'll consider options if Sirmon doesn't get it together soon.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

He doesn't need to cut Sirmon, just don't start him. Other teams use preseason to determine starters, why don't we?

7. TitanJeff

The Titans are already paying too much for a part-time defensive player. No way would they keep him if all they wanted to do was use him as a backup and on special teams.

Sirmon's base is around $2.5 mil this season, I believe. If they keep him, they better think he'll do well.

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

So? Let him sit and see if Tulloch does better, if so cut Sirmon, if not put him back in as the starter. Just because he has a 2.5 mil base doesn't mean you can't experiment with his position on the team.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

keeping Sirmon as a starter cos of what he is paid is ridiculous.

We have Cap room, we are not desperate for the money. Bench him then release him at the end of the year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar