Fisher has No Plans to Sit Sirmon

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If the Titans plan on benching him then why not release him? If the plan is to start Tulloch after the bye week, then you keep Sirmon but a lot can be done with his $1.5 mil cap savings if a DT or DE becomes available over the next couple of weeks.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

IF there is no one there in FA, keep him as an emergency in case Tulloch gets hurt or isn't as good as thought.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Sirmon presents a problem. Unless he is a real good MLB he is being over paid. Even if he can stay the starter IMO he isn't good enough to warrant his paycheck. The other problem is that Sirmon is in his last contract year. Thats a problem because the only way to lower his CAP number is to give him an extension which I'm not sure we want to do. I doubt Sirmon would be willing to take a straight pay cut so any kind of new deal means we ink him for a couple of more years. Cutting Sirmon would save about 1.5 mil but then we have little depth at MLB and have to depend on a rookie.
    I would predict the scenario will be to keep Sirmon the starter going into the season at his current salary and then based on his performance we may see Tulluck take over later in the season. Right now IMO they don't feel comfortable enough to cut Sirmon and hand the job to Tulluck.

Now if the organization really wanted to do what was the best for the team this year they would consider cutting Sirmon, use part of the CAP savings to find another vet MLB to add depth and play STs and hand Tulluck the job. With the other half of Sirmon's CAP savings we might find a DT/DE.

4. FanSince'87

FanSince'87 Heretical Fanatic

What is not being considered here is that Sirmon plays a very pivotal role in setting up the defense on the field. That is why his knowledge and experience is so important. He is more or less the quarterback of the defense.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

With the way our D's been playing for the last couple of years, maybe that's just another reason for him to go...

And considering people are saying Bulluck was the one getting the signals from the sideline and making the audibles (see Thornton's comment on his sack), I'd say Sirmon isn't the playcaller on D anymore.

6. V-MAN

V-MAN I still believe

Unfortunately this just shows complete stupidity on the part of our coaching staff. So, you don't bench a guy because he has the knowledge of your defensive schemes? Well, why don't you either A: Get Tulloch up to speed on your plays. or B: Make sure another person calls the plays.

I am getting sick and tired of this coaching staff. Fisher heres a little something for ya. :moon2:

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

when the twos are in stephen tulloch is the one getting the plays from the sideline and is makes the defensive calls.

8. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Maybe they should fire Schwartz, and replace him with Sirmon?
    :banana:

9. this is just stupid, tulloch is obviously the better player and they wont start him because sirmon is a vet, this is makin me mad

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

lol

I agree what a backhanded compliment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar