Fisher & His Trick Plays...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nate42104, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Didn't we run some trick kickoff against the Chargers in the playoff game? I remember it was something silly like everyone lined up on one side or something. I remember it didnt work.

Or I'm making all this up.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

On the Titans' first play from scrimmage, they tried a "swinging gate" play...Vince threw a screen pass to Gage, with a wall of blockers in front of him.

Gage dropped it.

As I recall, they threw to Gage again two plays later, on third down. He dropped that one, too.

Hell of a way to start a playoff game.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Like I've always said; Justin Gage is a 4th WR at best. Only the Titans allow him to be a starter.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Ah thanks! Now it's all coming back to me. Takes a little to refresh my memory in the mornings.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Amazing that people can get mad about a play call in a game that doesn't matter.

It's entertaining for the fans, and I'm sure the players like it. I got a kick out of the one last year and this one. Yes, it would be a stupid football decision in a real game, but it isn't a real game, so who cares? Also, it doesn't hurt the other team. If we were only running trick special teams plays, and denying them the chance to do regular returns, I could see taking issue with it. However, it was one play. Can't see anything wrong with that.

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. titanflamer

titanflamer Starter

I had to leave to pick up my daughter from bowling practice. We were ahead when I left and behind when I returned. I might have missed 15 minutes.
    Since I missed it, could someone tell me if it successful?
    It seems to me our team did a couple trick plays a year during the McNair era. I remember one game against Carolina, they were undefeated until we played them that season.Besides a recovered muffed punt, which is not technically a trick play, it seems Volleck (spelling?) was lined up and the ball thrown to him and he threw it to someone who ran a TD. I could be wrong.
    Also seems like Mason was thrown a similar pass for a TD, probably not that game though.
    But again, Fisher probably thought it was his best bet and had nothing to lose against the undefeated Panthers.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

used to run the bubble screen a lot, usually worked out well

8. aws090883

aws090883 Camp Fodder

i think the fake call was good.its the preseason.its a time when sometimes you want to run certain plays on offence.so if it takes a fake punt to keep the drive going its a good thing because you get to see more of what your offence has got.

im not certain but i think there where still some starters in so maybe he just wanted to extend the drive because its all some of the starters where gunna play in.i think its more to get tape for themselves than to get other teams thinking.hes not a new coach i think they know what to expect from fisher.

9. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

It's preseason. Calling a trick play in a preseason game doesn't qualify as classless. The objective wasn't so much to catch seattle off guard but to see if the play could be executed.

10. pano79

pano79 Practice Squad

I agree with you. Our coach is always conservative and don't take risks usually. Last year I remember only some 4th down calls (mostrly against the Colts).
    However his trick plays calls are often succesfully and I think will be good if sometimes he'll take risk to call it.
    We can't forget the Trapasso's fake punt of last year :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar