Fisher: The all time great hustler?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Subjugation, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

All but 4 season have been .500 or better(not including this year).....MOST TEAMS IN THIS LEAGUE WHO DIE TO BE AT .500 or a yearly basis.....and you can argue that 04 and 05 was NOT his fault....it was Floyd Reese's problem. Its call consistency....thats what it takes to win in this league and Coach Fish has done that. The playoff record isnt that great but that can be linked to the front office's not going out and getting a GAME CHANGING player on Offense. Dont look at Coach Fish....the problems with this organization go alot deeper.

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Cowher: 10 playoff appearances in 15 seasons
    Fisher: 6 playoff appearances in 15 seasons

Cowher: 12-9 postseason record, 1 ring
    Fisher: 5-6 postseason record, 0 rings

That's a pretty significant gap if you ask me. I can understand why Pittsburgh kept Cowher around for as long as they did. He got them into the playoffs twice for every time they missed them. Of his 10 playoff appearances, only twice was his team bounced in their first game. He was at least getting them close. Fisher hasn't even won a playoff game since 2003.

There's absolutely no way of knowing that. Not that I want a gimmick offense or anything but a few teams are having great success under young head coaches right now. Why could the same thing not happen here?

How can so many people can be content with mediocrity for so long? (and that isn't directed at you jedi, just thinking generally here)

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. amstrf89

amstrf89 Starter

If you take out his last playoff game each season we made the playoffs, he's undefeated in the postseason, and if you take out this year, we've won 29 of our last 39 games.

I don't think anyone's here to argue that 8-8 is a winning season.

Please understand the principles of understanding principles before you post. Thanks.

The way I see it, anyone who thinks Fisher has been a poor or mediocre coach in this league is mistaken. People seem to agree that Bill Belicheck is a great coach, but he in Fisher's 14 full seasons with the Titans, he only averages .79 wins per season less than Belicheck. And that's without Tom Brady, Randy Moss, and/or the aid of illegal video tapes.

One reason I think Fisher has been with the team as long as he has is the fact that he has done well and he has done so without great players a lot of the time. To do that well in this league with the players we've had is quite an accomplishment. I think his poor postseason record is due to the fact that we've had inferior players who had overachieved during the regular season.

With that being said, unless we have a drastic turnaround this season (9 or 10 wins,) I think we should go with someone else next year. It seems like he's become ineffective at motivating the players, as well as winning games (obviously), and he has to take some of the blame for us having mediocre players. For me, his record up until this season has nothing to do with why he should be fired. This season (the players' attitudes, effort, and lack of fundamentals playing a big part) should be the main reason for his firing.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It's more the up and down career he's had.

First was the moving from three stadiums in 3 years, and then we made the Superbowl in the first year as Titans and were a top team in 1999, 2000, 2002 and 2003 (off the top of my head). Expectations were high for those seasons
    2001 was injuries, though still a down year when expectations were high.

2004 and 2005 was expected considering the cap purge and rebuilding.
    2006 had no expectations but we did exceed it all by going 8 - 8
    2007 was playoffs as was 2008.

2009 is obviously not what was expected.

Throughout those years he was regarded as a top coach because he 'did more then the talent we had' (whatever that means).

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I guess I see it as:

He's had 6 winning seasons.
    He's had 4 "even seasons."
    He's had 4 losing seasons.

(This is being so much nicer than I, upon further review, "feel" right now, but...) They say the NFL is an "8-8" league. You could almost argue the two 7-9 seasons were cases of balls not bouncing our way, which is a law of averages at times. So, if you count those as somewhat "even seasons," Fisher only has 2 dog seasons, that we know were attributed to 1) their cap plan to keep the team together, 2) some admittedly bad drafting during this period, 3) injuries no one could foresee, and 4) the unfortunate decline of Steve McNair right after reaching his personal peak in 2003.

So, in the most positive light, one could argue this, so far, is just the one, truly horrible one. "The One To Rule Them All," if you will.

Of course, I say here, as everyone knows, it's not about the past, it's about the present. It's also about knowing "when it's time." I don't know that, but I believe the following: Even if Fisher comes out of it, it will only make him adhere to what he "knows" is right all the more. Ergo, no relinquishment of the offense, no change of philosophy, and a philosophy of "I'd rather have 'my guys' than dissenters who may or may not be right."

The OP got the thread title right on, in my view. Fisher is a gambler. He's the meticulous, safe kind, who literally plays the averages. It's why, upon further review, despite the years of firing requests by fans, Schwartz was ideal for him, and perhaps why Williams might not have been wanted back by Fisher, deep down. Williams was a high-rolling riverboat gambler. Fisher is that calm, "wait for it," type, who rides the upswing when it comes, and holds fast through the flip (side).

He built his rep on 1999-2000 and had the best positive upswing of anyone, except maybe Belicheck, for years. That's why he's "a made man." Right now, Jeff Fisher is the last of the "Old School Coaches," and I believe whenever his time is done, he'll be talked about that way, but only when he's done will the media acknowledge it. Only then. Until that time, it's "circle the wagons" (gee - lot of quotes for me in this post), because if you're not going to stand by "the guard," who will you stand with?

Will I miss him if he's gone? You bet. It'll hurt like hell. And I dunno...maybe Fisher wants to mix some things up and only wants to wait out the storm until he can dump some players to do so, but I don't think so, really. I thought he came to that conclusion last year, but the start to this one has me wondering.

I'm just thinking it's over. It all seems to keep coming back to things for which Fisher is ultimately held responsible, in my view.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Screw Jeff. He lies, and bull sh8ts us to death. I blame him for my parking ticket! And oh yea, start Vince Young and we'll win the Super Bowl in Miami. (Maybe not, but I like to look forward to his resurrection)

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I heard that Jeff Fisher won't be fired because he still has 14 million left on his contract. True or False?

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Fisher makes $5.5 million a year. The deal is through 2011.

9. TitansWillWin1

TitansWillWin1 Camp Fodder

drafted dud after dud??? hahaha wat about haynesworth, griffin, johnson, white, finnegan, bulluck, roos, kenny britt, mason, rolle?????? im just sayin a few off the top of my head! oh and btw the coach doesnt have the final say so in whos drafted nyway it comes down to the GM and owner!

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

If someone has the time I'd like to see comparative records of all the other small market teams throughout the same same stretch...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar