Fisher Wants Titans to Run the Ball

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nash

Nash Starter

Some posts have suggested that the zone read won't work in the NFL, but isn't that what the Colts do basically,i.e. they isolate the free safety, and then Payton makes a throw to the open receiver..

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

4. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

Bobo,

We really sucked...also seemed to think the 20 yard line was the goal line...That's where we always quit...

Still controling the ball is better than being controled...If you really suck you might manage both

And yeah...what bigtitan53279 said:ha:

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Saying that Fisher wants to run the ball is about like this...
    [​IMG]

duh

6. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

Well the colts dont have peyton manning running the ball once he reads it, he throws it down the field...thats the difference i mean its a bit different when your QB has to run away from a D-end and probably a linebacker maybe even 2...even if it is VY....all really fast

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fisher will be coaching in 2006!

Welcome back jeff fisher. How was that one season vacation?

The idea of using vince young on an option is stupid. Just plain stupid! This guy can do massive damage to defenses just ad libbing on pass plays when the defense is most spread out and he can operate in space. If teams run a lot of man they will have players running with their backs to the line of scrimmage. That's the scenario in which vince will thrive. Planned running plays are fine and certainly the draw will become a staple but under no circumstances do i want our star QB running sideways along the line of scrimmage trying to decide whether to pitch out or not.
    There is a reason why people don't run that play in the nfl.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree. The option they ran at Texas was a basic running play similar to a QB draw and I wouldn't mind seeing a little of that but not as a main part of the running game. Young will get his yards on passing plays when he doesn't see an open WR or the field opens up in front of him. Expecting him to be a running back, like he was a Texas will not be as effective in the NFL and will get him hurt.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

VY never ran the traditional option that forced him to hold the ball till the last second before making the pitch and thus getting himself whacked.

And he won't run it as a Titan.

The zone option read can really put a ton of pressure on opposing LBs. especially if you have good TEs that can run option routes. The LBs have to respect the RB, then they have to decide whether they are going to cover the TE or go after the QB.

10. Many people have asked me why the NFL doesn't pitch like in rugby where you have the option to do so and I always say that its because the plays are thought out and executed so thouroughly in practice that you can't just change the play, like in an option route

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar