Fisherball wins in the NFL..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

If your going to play to hold a lead, than you have to put up points. Jeff Fisher doesn't seem to understand that.

Quicker he's gone, quicker we can stop playing "fisherball" and start playing FOOTBALL.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

This has been good discussion overall but if some posters are going to argue with anything and that is a waste of time. Like arguing that Rex ryan is a bad coach that is moronic. He went to the afc championship last year with a rookie QB!

Or Alex who doesn't know where he stands on the issue he just has an axe to grind.

We saw the 08 version of the Kansas City Chiefs. That was the game where Lendale White had an 80 yard TD run. That Chiefs team was as soft as any you will see outside of Detroit. Now they have a defense that competes and an offense that runs the ball 33 times a game. The difference is night and day.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

What does it matter what I post? You'll just make up what you want to believe anyway.

RollTide, the poster who wants Herm Edwards as next Coach and Chad Pennington as next QB. (Is that any different than you claiming I want Josh McDaniels as HC?)

4. NYCTitanfan84

NYCTitanfan84 Special Teams Standout

At the end of the day I think it comes down to being able to make adjustments...and surrounding your team with the right personnel to support your scheme..and I dont think Jeff Fisher has done that..which is why his "fisherball" hasn't worked for him

Take a look at the Steelers who are still known as a "grind it out..run dominated offense"..even they know when and how to mix things up. They know how to maintain a threat of the pass in order to open up their run game. We'll just run run run..to the point where we've become pathetically predictable. But the main thing for them is their defense ! IMO the difference between their defense and ours is that they have a great overall defense..they can defend the pass as well as the run. We're a great run defense (well we were..lol)..but we've struggled for years against the pass and haven't really seemed to do anything to make it better. You cant have a "bend but dont break" defense in the kind of scheme he wants to run. JMO

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

It's regrettable that it seems as if Fisher is unable to execute his own philosophy however I think history has shown that there are far more effective if not easier philosophies to implement.

I think we've seen plenty of bad teams suddenly turn things around with a coaching change. It might be time. I'll tell you this much though. Fisher could leave here and make a winner out of someone like Buffalo or Carolina.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The key to Fisherball success is based on three things. Defense, Defense, Defense.
    If you want to add in a 4th it would be an offense that doesn't give the ball up on turnovers. A 5th STs with a good FG kicker.

Even if you have a RB who bashes it for 3.4 YPC as long as you are leaving yourself 3rd and 5 or less and have a QB and weapons to convert 1st downs you don't have to be real fancy on offense.

Taking an occasional shot down field and being able to open up more when you do get behind (again a decent QB and weapons) is a must especially when it comes down to beating the better teams.

But if your defense keeps the opposition in the low 20s or lower (as opposed to the high 20s) and can create turnovers (the offense can't run it over) it simply doesn't take much offense to win games. Add to the mix strong STs that can give you decent field position or an occasional score while not giving up scores helps as well.

So a good defense first, good STs and an offense that is consistent and doesn't turn the ball over can win a bunch of games in the NFL. That is why it is ridiculous to give VY all that credit for his record when so many of his wins were the result of good defense, running game and STs. A perfect example was the win in 2006 against the Colts. Our defense held the Colts to 17 points and Bironas kicked a 60 yard FG. Young had 2 TDs but also 2 ints that game.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

Hi-five for this in particular. I have a long history of support for VY but in spite of that given how a number of Titan wins came about with him starting it's not like he puts the team on his back and wills victories. VY's successes may be a product of the system. I can buy into that despite the shortcomings of said system.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If this team had the same defense we had in 2007 and 2008 the philosophy works. Playing solid defense isn't a philosophy it is a requirement.

I was discussing this with a guy I work with from Detroit. I told him one of the mistakes Detroit probably made was trading up to get Best when they should have focused on their OL and front 7 on defense. Obviously they took Suh with the first pick but when building a team IMO you build from the trenches out. Take the best front 7 guy or OL guy there (early 2nd round) and maybe and use the third or 4th rounder (they gave up) for a RB.

The problem the Titans have now is no matter what scheme you use you have to have a good QB.

9. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

Wrong. I don't remember the stat but close to 20 of VY's wins came when this team was ranked in the worst 5 defenses in the league.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

buddy, in that case you need to go out and construct a stat, that is, if you want to be convincing. Spend 20 minutes pouring over some game logs, make a few notations and compile it. People do it on this site EVERY DAY.

ok, ok... you are right. Special teams, the running game and defense had nothing to do with 20 of VY's wins. That's what you are saying to me right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar