Fisher's limitations on rookies...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titan_Cam, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

I've listened to Fisher and Reinfeldt's post-draft press conference and Fisher's philosophy regarding playing rookies was very apparent. It's still months before training camp but it's like he goes in with philosophy that these guys couldn't possibly earn a starting job (outside of Morgan perhaps). Speaking of Rennie Curran Fisher says he will be an excellent special teamer and says the same is true for the defensive backs drafted. What's to say Curran doesn't come in, pick up the defensive system quickly (it's not THAT complicated) and outplay McGrath. Or what's to say Verner doesn't come in and outplay Mouton, McCourty and the rest of the guys. Damian Williams needs to learn the offense but probably possesses more natural talent than all of our receivers except maybe Britt. I know rookies have to go through a learning period but it seems ridiculous to limit how big their contributions can be at this stage. Fisher always seems apt to do that and there have been very few exceptions.

2. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Dude . . . if they are good enough, they will play. Kearse played, Pac-Man played, CJ played, Albert played, Griffen played . . . if a player can play and they show it in practice they will play. Fisher is not going to keep a guy on the bench who is regularly out performing the guy in front of him in practice. I know people here think he will and does, but none of us know what goes on in practice, so it is all just speculation.

It is in fisher's best interest to play the best player period. And he has proven he will play rookies if they are ready. I am sure there are more that could be listed, if you went back over the many years.

3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Well, what you're saying is 1st rounders will play. We all know that Titans not picked in the 1st rarely play.

4. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Jason Jones played. Marks played. Calico played. Tank Williams played. Mouton played. McCourty played.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

JEVON.KEARSE.
    We all recall his rookie year correct?

6. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Thanks for remembering names I couldn't. Does anyone really think that Fisher doesn't play rookies who are regularly out performing the vet in front of them in practice? Does anyone have any proof of this? And why, simply out of stubborn pride, would he do this? Does he not want to win? My guess is he wants the team to win a bit more than we all do . . . he does have a bit more invested than we do. Come on people, both logic and past history tells us that Fisher plays rookies if they are ready to play or needed to play.

7. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

can anyone explain the Harper situation last year then? Theres no way I can see how Mccourty, Mouton, or Hood could be any worse.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Peter Sirmon played ahead of Tullock. Sirmon was a broken down never-was and when Tullock got a few snaps he made stuff happen, but Sirmon took 95% of the snaps.

Fred Miller started as a cripple while Todd Williams was rotting on the bench.

This has been discussed a lot and the facts are JF does NOT play young players unless the veteran has abused JFs dog

9. Huge Bobes

Huge Bobes Camp Fodder

Anyone ever heard of Courtland Finnegan? He was drafted from Samford (Not Stanford) in the 7th round. If that isn't an example of Fish starting a small school guy then I can't help ya.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Who's to say Bulluck doesn't rehab successfully and re-sign with the team? That's why Fisher has to talk like that for now. Until Bulluck is signed elsewhere, it's still his job.

If Bulluck signs elsewhere, I see Curran as the favorite to win the job. Dude's a beast. What Fisher is saying now doesn't change that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar