Fishers's comments on game

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Childress79, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Maybe we should actually play Britt then.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Wow that was a good read.

Quoting this from the article:

4. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

Wouldn't it be nice, just once, for Fisher to truly understand what happened in a game on offense so that he could just tell the honest truth. IMO, from watching the game, it definitely was not too much in the gameplan. It was the fact that the coaches never did their job in-game. They never adjusted to what was actually happening on the field. Where were the screens to te as the Steelers aggressively pursued CJ or the quick pass to the flat? Where were the midfield passes on a team that was either blitzing their lbs or fake blitzing only to have them drop back? Shouldn't the 8 yrd route over the middle have been there? There was numerous times that the steelers wee being so aggressive on 1st and 2nd downs that VY should have been guided to make one hot read and if it wasn't there then tuck and run. If those thngs were being adjusted throughout the game then we would have had more success but for the most part what I saw were receivers running routes that were way to involved for the amount of time VY had in the pocket. If someone was actually there, they may have a different take but that is certainly what it appeared like to me on tv. If this is what was happening, then it would be nice to hear Fisher say," you know what, after reviewing the tape, we as coaches f'd up. We were way to lax in our adjustments to the reality of what was happening on the field."

I would respect that way more then our whole offense was a mess so I benched VY for a spark case that Fisher made.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. lateknight

On a side note, I did laugh extremely hard every time I saw the State Farm commercial come on. That coaching job really needed a lifeline call for that performance.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I think it is more than obvious that VY wasn't able or prepared to execute the offense necessary to beat the Steelers.
    1. The second int was ridiculous. The Steelers do that all the time so it shouldn't have been a surprise. It is a normal part of their defensive scheme to mix up their blitzes and sometimes they bring both OLBs and sometimes they drop one. After that ridiculous int Dinger probably was hesitant to dial up those kind of routes. Right after that int the scheme was basically give the ball to CJ as much as possible.
    2. VY has little or no capacity to make changes at the LOS. Period.
    3. VY has little capacity to move a round in the pocket (no feel) and still make something happen even when the rush is coming. Sure he can run if he has space but if he has to make the small adjustments that the good QBs can make he is clueless.
    4. If the OL is rock solid at protecting the QB and CJ is gouging the defense VY can be successful. But sometimes those things aren't happening and it is up to the QB to make changes at the LOS, move around in the pocket to avoid the rush and make the right reads. All those things are problems with VY.

Translating Fishers statements....our QB wasn't getting it done because he wasn't capable of running the offense we needed.

Even the outsiders article said the Steelers tried to make VY a pocket passer and were successful. So all you have to do to beat Young is keep him in the pocket and stop the run to beat the Titans.

7. lateknight

Just now read that entire article in the link posted earlier in the thread. I have to say I agree one hundred percent.

Our coaching staff didn't adapt even after Kerry came in. The Steelers backed up so we would eat up the clock. I still am also in disbelief that so many sportswriters summed up that game with the statement near the end of "The Titans just missed a great comeback with a nearly caught throw to Nate Washington." Really? That was a hope and a prayer thrown into the corner and I have yet to see Nate come down with anything that he has to leave his feet for. There was no way he was catching that ball especially with someone in his sternum.

I sincerely hope that last shot on TV of Vince talking to Dinger was either him telling Vince, "My bad my playcalling sucked pretty much for this entire game" or ""You know that was Jeff and not me directing that sh*tty gameplan don't you?"

Maybe they thought we were the Saints for a second and thought we had six good route running receivers (four with great speed) is why we kept running streaks, fades, and deep curls. Hopefully someone in the Adams family is already busy looking for a great innovative coach to "spark" our offensive gp. Whether that means Dinger, Fisher or both have to go, I don't care. I'm just tired of living on the cusp. Always close enough to smell the steak but never invited to the party. Fisher has been steady, send him up the ranks. Right now we need an innovator inserted into our coaching staff that will put a consistently fluid gp into place that can adjust real time.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

You are kind of right, except Young isn't allowed to make wholesale changes at the LOS. It's not that he can't. Senior year Texas he called his own plays. There's hardly a QB who wouldn't like to do that. This is Fisher's trust issue with him, even if it might benefit the offense as a whole.

And we can't forget it was Fisher who stopped Young's running in the first place. What we see now is more of Young trying to please Fisher and play within the scheme. It was a huge issue before. Now I think they encourage him to run when it's available or designed, but the coaches have what they want out of Vince: a QB who looks to throw first and run second.

I do feel he's lost his pocket awareness because of his focus downfield trying to crack defenses. He does need to do a better job of blending the best of what he was before with what he can do now as a passer, kind of like Steve did.

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Zone read left, Zone read right is a little different than the NFL, just sayin.

as for your last paragraph; if he has lost pocket awareness because he's focusing downfield, then he never had pocket awareness:grrr: Pocket awareness is being aware of what's going on IN THE POCKET while you are focusing elsewhere!

10. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

I was with you till this post. The offense he ran at Texas and an NFL offense really aren't that comparable. I would think it is much more difficult to successfully audible against a good NFL defense (I'm talking more than just having a WR change to run a slant or something like that). Do I think he could do it? Yeah, probably but I think they want to avoid overloading him. He's improved his reads (at least against 4-3 defenses :) ), and I think they want him to continue to get comfortable and begin to excel with that before giving him the authority to audible.

Also I have to disagree about Fisher stopping VY from running. I don't think there is evidence of that. VY cut down on his running back in the 2007 season out of a desire to become a more complete QB, which he was absolutely right to do! I for one, do not believe he will be successful in the NFL if he can't consistently pass from the pocket when needed. I'm all for designed moving pockets and bootlegs, but he also needs to be very good at standing in the pocket, scanning the field, avoiding the rush, completing the read, setting his feet and making the throw. He should also be running several times a game but it should be nowhere near the run/pass ratio he had at Texas or he will not last very long. McNair's toughness VY does not have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar