Fix the Offensive Line

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Play GM and find a way.

I'll start:

1. New position coach - CHECK. Russ Grimm knows his stuff. If Warmack and Lewan have all the raw talent needed, then having a position coach with Grimm's experience should fix the technical flaws and poor habits. I hope the focus of the summer for each is to improve these skills.

I'm on record here and now saying his job is going to be as important as any hired so far. If he can fix this mess, then it'll go a long way towards getting the Titans back on track.

2. Staying healthy - in each of the last two seasons, the OL has been hit hard with injuries. The OL entering week 1: Lewan, Bell, Schwenke, Warmack and Poutasi. We quickly found out Poutasi wasn't close to ready and was a liability from the start. But losing Schwenke early in the season meant, in combination of Poutasi being replaced, a big shuffle which, in combination with Whiz's incompetence, led to Mariota getting hurt.

It seemed a difference combination was starting at OL each week for the rest of the season. Without staying healthy, there's no way a young OL unit can develop and, obviously, this is impossible to guarantee. Got to have better depth and hope for the best.

3. Get experience - I'm with Walker here. I would rather pay for experience than use anything higher than a fourth at OL. I make getting Andre Smith a priority. I think this franchise has to make a tough decision and decide whether or not Schwenke is starting material. I personally feel he's average, at best, but had upside. Now, I'd strongly consider an experienced, gritty, C in free agency.

4. Figure out Poutasi - every scouting report I read said he projected to play G in the NFL. From what I saw out there, they were correct. Grimm has to figure out his strengths and plug him in. IMO, it's at guard and he needs to be there from the first day of training camp onward.

5. Flip Warmack? - he played LG at Bama. His technique seems to be horrible now. Though I hate the thought of flipping him after getting experience at RG, Grimm needs to evaluate whether or not his technique can be fixed or if it's beyond repair. If it is, why not move him to LG where he has to wipe the slate clean and re-learn the position. I'll admit this is a reach as he's as likely to keep certain habits regardless unless Grimm can break him.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Fix the offensive line.....

through free agency.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Also, I think it's abundantly clear that we can't rely on Schwenke at all. He's never healthy and when he is he's not very good.

We need some competition at guard. Chance has been terrible. Yeah, we can point to him getting better towards the end of 2014, but that looks like more of an aberration than anything. No way should he have a spot locked up going into 2016. I was a believer of Poutasi.....at guard. Why we thought he was an NFL tackle is beyond me. I'd let both Chance and Poutasi duke it out with a mid-tier free agent. The best two of the three start.

Find a starting quality RT, for the love of god. RT has been an issue for three years. That's unacceptable.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Prideful

Prideful Starter

Knowing this team they probably wont fix it for another 5 years down the road when Mariota is fully injured.

With this new GM things might actually get turned around but i am starting to think for Rob's first few years he will have little say in FA and the Draft
    (FO is too involved in the draft every year even tho they are not football minds).

#4 Prideful, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  5. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

At least Mularkey knew there was a problem and tried to fix the OL as soon as he had the opportunity, but he could only use what he had available. That tells me he most likely still sees it as a big issue to fix and hopefully makes it top priority. I really think a lot of the problem on offense could be fixed by just fixing the line.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Its worth a try, Chance is a lousy RG, but Lewan is a finesse LT, IDK how well the combination of finesse and power will work with those two...

But if anything it may allow us to run left for a change..

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Improving the depth is important too.

Last year going into the season the OL on the bench were:
    • A journeyman who was picked up late in the 2014 season
    • A sixth round rookie
    • An undrafted rookie
    It was a big mistake

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Were they any worse than the starters though? Ideally you want good starters and solid depth behind them. The Titans have mediocre to bad throughout. Lol

9. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

I wouldn't mind if we spent all of our cap space just on the OL.....kinda lol.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

you wan to spend ~$40M on 4 linemen? Oh - my - gawd - no.

This free agent class's top RT was paid $6M last year. The top 2 Guards were paid $6M and $3M. The top center in this class was paid $2M.

If we did the very best imaginable in FA we'd only need to spend ~$17M to fix the line the best we could.

Is that you Ruston?

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar