Fixing the D

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GrayGhost1951, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

So we all know the D has to be addressed heavily before next year. Who's a keeper and who goes in your opinion. Try to list our needs from most to least, or list who should stay and replace the rest.

Keepers (for depth too)

Byard
    Wallace
    Orakpo
    Blackson
    A. Johnson
    Casey
    Klug
    Sims
    Dodd (?)
    Williamson

Couple I probably forgot. Your turn.

2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I think McCourty should stay. I don't think he's terrible, he's just not a #1 shut down. Him as #2 or at least with some other talent should be alright.

3. Wolverine

Wolverine Starter

Area of needs:
    Secondary
    ILB
    Defensive Line (lacks ability to create pressure on their own minus Casey)

Expendable:
    Al Woods
    Woodyard
    Entire secondary minus Reeds, Sims, Byard

4. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

Casey, Orakpo, Morgan, Byard, McCourty, Sims, Klug, jury out on Dodd other than that everyone else is expendable and even a couple of those guys are expendable.

We seriously could upgrade at just about every single position. It's surprising we weren't even worse on defense with the list of misfits we fielded all year.

• LOL LOL x 1
  5. Wolverine

Wolverine Starter

DE DaQuan Jones - replaceable
    NT Al Woods - replaceable
    DE Jurrell Casey - Keep
    OLB Brian Orakpo - Keep

ILB Wesly Woodyard - replaceable
    ILB Avery Williamson - Keep
    OLB Derrick Morgan - Keep
    CB 1 McCourty - Keep as a #2

CB 2 Brice McCain/Valentino Blake - replaceable
    SS Da'Norris Searcy - replaceable
    FS Kevin Byard - Keep

To me we have 5 starters I would definately keep, and Jones/McCourty for depth purposes. Jones is a decent run stopper, but that is about it. McCourty is more than likely facing the end of his career and is a cap casualty.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Last 2 years McCourty has fallen from that #2 you think he is to a #3/4. He's also due $7M in 2017, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he were cut.

But as you pointed out, maybe being so depleted of talent at CB will allow him to be here next year, but looking at how Griffin was treated, my money says McCourty is toast.

Jon Robinson isnt Ruston Webster, the days of free passes seems to be gone. Either youre good or trending up, no more keeping guys past their prime anymore unless theyre pure depth, (which at $7M/yr McCourty would not be.)

• High Five x 1
    • Cheers x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Hit the Target x 1
    • Winner x 1
  7. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I think Jones is good. I don't think much of anyone is going to put up huge numbers in that spot. Other than that, I pretty much agree.

There are a lot of guys I don't necessarily have a problem with, but we need corners and 1 or 2 playmakers in the middle.

8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I can definitely see that. The cost for him not being a #1 quality guy may be reason to cut him.
    I would say this though, JR better find at least a decent CB in FA cause 3/4 rookie CB or defunct FA CB's isn't going to fix this secondary issue.

9. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

I agree 100% on the line. Even in full blitz we couldn't get there sometimes. Even Casey isn't a bullrusher. If only we knew if Dodd was the speedrusher we needed.

10. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I agree with this although I'd trade McCourty to NE. Williamson as depth , I'd address ILB in the draft.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar