Floyd sounds like Floyd the Barber

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff, we had the 16th pick in 1998.

It is interesting that we were not willing to take a chance on moss with the 16th pick in 98 but did take a chance on pacman with the 6th pick in 05.

Some picks are just plain dumb like the rams drafting lawrence phillips 6th in 1996. we can agree that pacman wasn't nearly that bad a pick.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I dont think the Pacman pick was part of the reason. Pac was better than most people ever could have guessed. And honestly, he shouldnt be suspended today. So, I'd guess it was more due to the Andre Woolfolks rather than the PacMans. Haynesworth is just as much a troublemaker, but i dont think he lost the job for drafting him either, does anyone else?...

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Well gloat i ran the numbers in an above post. For every woolfolk or pacman there is an eddie and steve. I think it would be moronic if this guy got pushed out the door for one bad pick.

Maybe the salary cap purge in 05 sealed his fate.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think there is a huge gap between 6 and 16 as well. I'd been more open to taking Pacman there than at 6.

But this really isn't the point as much as a team not doing enough homework to know the full risk of taking an idiot with pick #6. That fall squarely on the shoulders of Reese, IMO.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So who do you take at #6 instead of Pacman if you think you should take an "impact" player when picking #6? Antrell Rolle who has been nothing spectacular and NOT an impact player. Carlos Rogers has been equally average. Neither of those guys can carry Pacman's jock as a CB and neither of those guys is a returner. Sure in hindsight I guess you could say there are a number of guys we should have drafted but we desperately needed a CB and Pacman was shoulders above anyone available. Was it a risk, of course but IMO worth the risk. Heck, we drafted a guy in the 7th round who is way better than Rogers or Rolle. Even if Reese had done more background on Pacman what exactly do you think he would have found that could possibly indicate Pacman would be such a moron? Reese would have needed a crystal ball to know Pacman was going to be this bad. On the flip side if we had passed on Pacman, taken one of the other CBs instead Reese would look like a total moron if Pacman was playing and didn't get in as much trouble. You would be on the board reeming Reese out for passing on the guy. Did Fish agree with the pick? If so Reese doesn't even take the full brunt of the blame if there is any.

As far the "stretch" that Pacman is Dion Sanders just how do you come up with that? Pacman without the behavior problems could be the most valuable CB in football with his return skills and the fact he is a shut down CB. The guy is Devin Hester, arguably one of the greatest return guys in NFL history in his short career AND a probowl level CB. Pacman's talent is a no brainer IMO.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Right now, anyone is an upgrade over someone suspended and may never play in a Titans uniform again.

We have no way to know that, do we? All we know is that other teams were not going to take Jones in the first round (if you believe some of the national talking heads) because of character concerns. Many needed a shut down corner as well.

That's the issue, isn't it? Reese took the risk without knowing all the facts and Pacman got in serious trouble.

I don't know the answer to this but do know Reese makes the pick. The buck stops with him.

Pacman has played one decent season, Sox. You are ready to crown his arse? :) I think I'll wait until he plays a few seasons first if and when he returns to the NFL.

7. Sledge

Sledge Guest

More cherry picking... Kevin Dyson, Kenny Holmes, Joey Kent, Anthony Cook, Bryant Mix, Andre Dyson...

8. Sledge

Sledge Guest

But he has 2 years of NFL experience. And I'm sorry, but his soph year was damn good, not only did he turn into a true shutdown corner by week 7 but his return game only elevated his performance that much more.

I hope people would realize the importance of a good return game and its obvious impact on field position, possibly the first key to success in football. Why you think we were 6-2, or rather 6-1 in our last 7 games? What happened last week? D gives up yards, so we're always pinned deep. But Pac helped that out a lot last year, both on KR and PR. Whether you like Pac the person or not, give credit where credit is due on the football field...

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Many needed shut down CBs as well? He was the first CB picked so we really don't know what those teams might have done. Unless you have inside information about what the rest of the league would have done you really don't know and even then we don't know. It is easy to say we would have stayed away in hind sight.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Sledge if you want to make a list of busts why include starting players? Maybe it is a lack of knowledge we are dealing with here.

Kenny holmes had 7 or more sacks 3 times in his career and played very well for us in the 99 playoffs.

Andre dyson was a solid 2nd rd pick who was a solid starting corner for us for 4 seasons. Dyson averaged 4 ints and 15 passes defended a year for us. No knowledgeable fan would consider him a bad pick..

Kevin dyson was obviously a disappointment but may have had a much more productive career had he not tore his knee up in 2000. As it was he was a starter for us most of the time he was here.

Next time you make a list of POS draft picks choose those players who truly sucked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar