for everyone who wanted limas sweed

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I wouldn't have minded Sweed in round 2 because of value but round 1? No, he didn't deserve to go there.

2. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

I agree. I almost went nuts when we drafted Jones over him last season knowing that we are terrible at receiver spot. I still don't know why we passed that up.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

We didn't the Steelers took him right before we picked.

4. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

You sure? I could have sworn that we could have taken him. Oh well, my memory failed me then. My mistake.

I do remember that I freaked out about passing somebody but can;t remember who it is...

5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Yep. Steelers picked him in the second round the very pick before our second round pick. :irked:

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

he is a 3 year project

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The draft was weird because it seemed like the Steelers took two guys I really thought were good value picks that would have been great for the Titans right before our picks. Steelers took Mendenhall in the first and Sweed in the second. Still, in hindsight we ended up with the better guys.

IMO there is no way we can determine how good Sweed will be based on him dropping one pass in a pressure game. I will say however that I bet Hawkins in that same situation makes the catch and I feel Hawkins will be as good of a pro but Hawkins like Sweed needs some development.

8. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I think we did too. As much of a Sweed fan as I am, I'm really, really impressed with Jason Jones. He will be a force to be reckoned with in the next few years. The fact that he's only ~276 lbs playing tackle blows my mind as well.

Can you elaborate on the development that Hawkins needs?
    If you're talking about his run-blocking, you can pin that right on the FO's shoulders.
    Common sense would tell draft scouts, etc. that if you are a run-first, run-heavy team, you do not go out and draft a WR from a pass-heavy team.

I highly doubt a WR's run blocking skills alone is going to keep him off the field, if it is, we should have never drafted Hawk. We should have drafted a WR from a run-first team, or Sweed (since we all know he knows how to lay the wood to a DB).
    I don't think Hawk needs much more development, but I do think our passing game/WR corps does.
    Provided Hawk has a productive TC, Imma be super livid if Hawk isn't starting in at least the slot position next season. Imma also be pissed if we don't start running more spread/3 wr formations.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think my favorite two were D-Jackson then Limas Sweed, but I kinda liked the guys Washington drafted too.

Sweed had a very interesting game, some of it outstanding while the at the same time he made HUGE mistakes.

I'll be watching to see if he does anything worthwhile in the Superbowl.

10. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Nevertheless, the drop didn't affect the game and Sweed showed a CLEAR determination to get back out there and redeem himself, starting with that enormous block followed by a couple of catches, including a pretty big clock milking 1st down catch in some heavy traffic. Everyone drops balls, and even thought that one was inexcusable I like the heart he showed in trying to get back out there and contribute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar