Forget about this "overpaying" stuff

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What was once overpaying isn't anymore. The cap has gone up dramatically. Whenever that happens, salaries also go up. We're just seeing the new price of doing business in the NFL.

Sure, some of the contracts signed so far were pretty extravagant. But that's the norm for guys who sign in the first say or 2 of free agency.

2. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

So technically, Given's demands are "fair"?

3. Maybe, maybe not. I'm just saying that "market value" has gone up with the new salary cap. Realistically, it's gone up about 10%.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

so Givens should be worth about $15 mil over 7 years

he's the next Pickens / Thigpen

5. How did you come up with those numbers?

My 10% is actually as compared to what the salary cap would have been a week ago under the old CBA. If you want to compare with last offseason, the cap has actually gone up 19% in the span of 1 year (from $85.5M to $102M). And next year it will be about $107M, which would be $25% in 2 years.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

sarcasm

Givens isn't worth $25 over 5

let him earn his $25 through incentives and bonuses

i wouldn't guarantee him more than 2-3 per

7. $25M now was worth roughly $20M had he signed last offseason. I think you'll find that that's not too insane, especially in a market devoid of top WRs.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

then i say we avoid it

9. smili

smili Starter

I understand some of the cap increase was used up by minimum salary increases also. For some reason I thought the cap was $94mil this year though.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

yeah the minimum salaries have increased and I think 94 million was what it was going to be without a new CBA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar