Former NFL RB Derrick Ward is fed up with recent DUI arrests

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CBS Sports, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBS Sports

CBS Sports Titans News

Derrick Ward is unimpressed with NFL players' inability to call a cab after drinking.

Derrick Ward may no longer be in his 20s, or on an active NFL roster, but the former seventh-round pick and Super Bowl champion is nonetheless well positioned to speak with some authority about the recent rash of arrests to NFL players, particularly those foolish enough to get behind the wheel after drinking. In the last two weeks, we've learned of DUI-related arrests to Titans wide receiver Kenny Britt, Rams defensive lineman Robert Quinn, Chiefs defensive back Donald Washington and Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch. (And then there's Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant, who was charged with pushing his mother, and defensive lineman Elvis Dumervil, who was booked for aggravated assault). This doesn't even include Jaguars first-rounder Justin Blackmon, who was arrested for DUI in June.

Ward, who last played for the Texans in 2011, is fed up with the short-sighted stupidity. He took to Twitter on Saturday to unload on those players getting behind the wheel after a few too many adult beverages (or in Washington's case, drugs). BlackSportsOnline.com documents Ward's Twitter play-by-play, but here's the gist: If you can't call a cab after a night out you're an idiot. "Stop being so dumb!" Ward wrote. "Yes that's right dumb! I'm sitting here retired enjoyed a great career now all I want to do is become a fan and I see... numerous arrest for DWI in the past several weeks? How many has it been this week 4? Absolutely ridiculous your not only putting yourself... in danger but your [sic] putting other innocent people in danger that don't deserve your stupidity. Open your eyes and do the right thing."

And Ward was just getting warmed up. "I know what its like to get go out get drunk and debate on weather [sic] to drive home or not. Call a taxi! So what if u spend some money to take one or u get a ticket on your car in the am when u go back 2 get it. At least u won't have to pay bail and then lawyer fees and then miss game checks."

Ten tweets later, Ward delivered one last word of advice that was as funny as it was instructive. There's no excuse to drive drunk! NONE! If all else fails WALK! NFL players are world class athletes Walking should be nothing! — Derrick Ward (@DerrickWard32) July 21, 2012

The man makes a great point. Perhaps NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell should give Ward a job on his enforcement squad. We're thinking Terry Tate-waiting-outside-the-club-to-level-a-fooltype enforcement (warning: there's some NSFW language in the Tate link). The league could even have a video crew document it all and upload it to its website for everyone to view. If Goodell ruling with an iron fist isn't working, try a little shame deterrence.
    [​IMG]
    Source: CBS Sports

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I am all for stricter punishment for DUI arrests, especially athletes.

3. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Especially athletes? lol Care to explain that? It's pretty hard to not just assume you're an idiot after reading that.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

You know what, just go ahead an assume that if you are really that dense.

5. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

I think they should be banned for a full season. Make it hardcore so they wont do it. and if they still get DUi then they don't like football in the first place.

These guys don't care about 4 game bans. they rather be at home in the swimming pool.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Athletes are pretty rich. Get a taxi.

7. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

I completely agree. I was reacting to the notion that athletes deserve an especially harsh punishment for DUI when compared to other people.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Are you thinking that I meany legally? Then no, but the league should seriously come down on them.

9. TheBisco

TheBisco Pro Bowler

In Kenny's defense, on this same night I waited for Allied Cab for 45 minutes before calling Yellow Cab. Never even a text or call from Allied or their driver. So, there is that.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

70% of the NFL cant swim. 99% of the NBA cant swim. No athlete likes being held out of what they love. And believe me, they love their sports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar