Former Saints DE Will Smith shot dead after car accident

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Here is the thing, I had an awful experience with a crooked cop when I was a kid.

I don't anything but work and play with cars. I'm not used to dealing with cops for those reasons. I'm terrified of cops. Of course, I'm going to be nervous.

...and I've gotten pulled out of cars for that reason.

2. JBC

JBC Starter

If you have done nothing other than violate a traffic law then at worst you will get a citation and be on your way. As I said, I have learned to read body language and behavior over the years, and have been successful with it. I don't violate anyone's rights. I rarely even stop cars anymore, but when I do, it usually ends in arrest. I have made three stops over the past couple of months. Got a gun off of a violent felon on the first. He is awaiting a federal trial. Got a gun, and 1/4 ounce of ice out of the second. He is awaiting trial in circuit court. Caught a felon who had arrest warrants on him in the third. He also had Meth on him. If you aren't doing anything wrong other than the traffic violation, you have nothing to fear from me.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

This is part of why so many people hate cops. People who have had experiences where the system totally failed them and their was no fix are completely dismissed.

Of course, I shouldn't have to worry about anything when I've done nothing wrong. When things don't work that way, all the positive examples in the world do nothing to take you out of that situation.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. JBC

JBC Starter

So you are saying I'm wrong for how I do my job? Catching felons, and drug dealers is not helping the community?

5. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

What?

I don't think I can talk you about this any more.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. JBC

JBC Starter

Ok... Didn't understand your reply. Just wanted clarification. You replied to my post by saying that was why people hate cops. I am professional and as polite as the other party will allow me to be.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

you're right. As the person getting pulled over, it is up to you to be on the up and up.

There ARE bad cops who treat people unfairly. I'm sure the concentration of them changes from city to city.

But overall, if you are able to be friendly and not aggressive, interactions with cops tend to be pretty pleasant. I've been pulled over twice recently and was able to get away with just a warning, just because I was nice to them.

#97 nickmsmith, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yup, me too. I deal with cops because of what I do for a living, theyre just regular people doing a job, treat them the same as anyone and theyll almost always reciprocate in an appropriate manor.

What people seem to fail to realize is cops deal with 99% assholes on a daily basis, they dont want to have to be an ass themselves when they dont have to, Im sure they appreciate you acting civil when pulled over.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Are you also afraid of dogs?

Serous question. People with a bad history of dogs sometimes grow up being nervous around them, which only makes things worse for the dog... Same with cops.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

never pick a fight with a police officer, YOU WILL NEVER WIN.

Be respectful, mature and do what they ask. The problem is, most people these days don't act this way regardless, so they're definitely not going to act this way to a figure of authority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar