Former Saints DE Will Smith shot dead after car accident

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBC

JBC Starter

Then I pay my own salary. I pay taxes too. Lol I do get sick of people saying "I pay your salary" when I tell them I am not going to request Dna from a cigarette butt they found in their front lawn after a burglary. Or better yet, expect me to solve the case by dusting for prints when they know it is a relative who comes to the house regularly. Even after I tell them that their prints will definately be in the house. Man, I hate those CSI shows on tv! Lol

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yep teachers ect...

• LOL LOL x 1
  3. Titan/Oiler34

Titan/Oiler34 Special Teams Standout

All I can tell you is this... Know your rights, be respectful if you disagree with an officer. IF you think an officer is overstepping video the incident. Thing is IF you can articulate a legitimate argument as to how the officer is incorrect and are video taping it, THEN when and IF it ends up in court you actually have a defense, you do not have to submit but if you have nothing to hide...
    I could tell you about the time I was stopped coming into Nashville for out of state tags lol, or i could tell you about the time my Boxer made a cop piss himself laughing when I got pulled over for 25 over in a 70 and ended up getting out of the ticket because he couldn't pull himself together after a 19 inch tongue licked him from the back seat.... If more people knew how to talk to or even knew their rights less BS stuff would actually happen because officers who think people don't know any better and 99 times out of 100 they are correct, will get someone to incriminate themselves without knowing they don't have to consent and can in fact call an attorney while the stop is happening. Police cannot deny you the right to council at any time. All you have to do is tell them you wish to speak to an attorney before you agree to anything. It's the people who fail at life in general who have the most issues with police. I am all for freedom, I truly believe in the Constitution and what is referred to as original intent... if you know let's say that the 2nd Amendment applies to any firearm not just muskets and understand why the Amendment exists in the first place you can make coherent arguments when you are stopped by a police officer for open carrying... there is no law which supercedes the Constitution. So when you see stuff like that or something like so,eon trying to explain the "separation of church and State" when it doesn't exist and wasn't even mentioned anywhere until a private letter written by Thomas Jefferson 12 years after the Constitution was ratified was printed in a newspaper years later... is a complete misrepresentation of the 1st Amendment? I could go on but then it would really get political so I'll just leave it there lmao.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. JBC

JBC Starter

I can remember a traffic stop I did several years ago where the guy was nonchalantly eating a doughnut when I approached. He had a box of doughnuts sitting beside him. I asked him for his license and he handed it to me. He then reached into th doughnut box, extended a doughnut out to me, and mumbled "doughnut?" With a mouth full himself. I got so tickled I didn't even run his license. I told him to slow down and let him go.

Btw, if an officer asks you for your license during a stop you do have to give it to him. If you don't, you may end up in jail, where otherwise you would have gotten a citation. There is also no need for an attorney unless you are a suspect in a crime and the officer has questions for you pertaining to that crime. If I think there is narcotics in the vehicle, then I may ask for consent, but I will have a K-9 unit en route in case the driver doesn't consent.

Another thing I get tired of hearing is "I'm going to beat this charge because you didn't advise me of my rights". That's another thing that people see on tv and think that's how it works. Three criteria must apply before an officer has to advise a suspect of their Miranda rights.

1. The Person must believe they are in custody.

2. The person asking the question must be an agent of the court. (Police/Deputy)

3. The officer must have a question pertaining to the offense to which the person has allegedly committed.

If I don't have a ? Then I don't have to mirandize anyone.

As for recording, I don't have a problem with it at all. When I was on patrol, we had dash cameras in our patrol cars, and body mics ourselves. They cleared me from any wrong doing on a lot of complaints. Our patrol deputies currently wear body cameras, so the entire incident is being recorded by law enforcement as well.

#84 JBC, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Titan/Oiler34

I made the call for one reason. 40/24/65 is a notorious drug route, better to err on the side of caution. Like it or not I knew when he pulled me over he was going to ask to search my truck... as I said out of state tags. Honestly it's the ONLY reason he stopped me. Used the "tailgating" or following to close excuse but come on... how often does one get pulled over in rush hour traffic doing 15-20 mph when it's bumper to bumper? I check all lights and tires before I travel each and every time.

LMAO, the offering of a doughnut to an officer of the law could have gone either way .

There are tons of videos where officers were wrong as well as where the individual they were speaking with were wrong. Our legal system has gotten so effed up it isn't even funny. They pass laws and the "ignorance of the law is no excuse" excuse is one of the things that gives police a bad name. I know of a few laws in particular which if people knew about them... did you know for instance that in the state of Kansas, "When two trains meet, neither shall proceed until the other has passed."? Yes, that's verbatim lol. In some places certain... um... ADULT activities can actually get you thrown in jail for morality charges. The state of Georgia for instance has a law against ora.... um you know. And you can be arrested for the act giving or receiving LMAO. I do have agree with GoT on the "business" aspect. Speed traps suck.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  6. JBC

JBC Starter

If the only reason you were stopped is for having out of state tags, then that officer doesn't understand the laws he is supposed to enforce. It isn't against the law to have out of state tags, and anything found after that stop would be what we call "fruit of the poisonous tree". He would lose in court. The few officers out there who do stupid things like that give the other 99% of s a bad name.

The way the guy offered me a doughnut was priceless. He was smiling, and had a mouth full. I couldn't help but laugh. I have had a lot of funny things happen during my career. I should have jotted them down over the years. Could have been an interesting book. Had a drug dealer try to use a taxi cab as a get away vehicle once. He ran into a cotton field, hid from us and called the taxi. I saw him run from the field and get into the car, so I called another deputy who was in his car to make the stop. We got consent from the taxi cab driver to search the car. The drug dealer had a Meth lab in the back of the cab with him, and we convicted him in circuit court. He took his case to the state court of appeals, because he said he had an expectation of privacy in the back of the cab. He lost his appeal. We got a laugh because A: he didn't leave the Meth lab in the field when he ran to the car, and B: because he called a taxi when he had deputies all over searching for him.

#86 JBC, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    • LOL LOL x 1
  7. Titan/Oiler34

He actually stopped me for "following to close". As I said bumper to bumper rush hour traffic doing 15-20 mph... he had no reason to pull me over other than the out of state tags. I wasn't any closer to the truck in front of me than anyone else at the time. I drive 40-50 thousand miles a year, I get pulled over quite a bit. Rarely get a ticket. Although the last time I got a ticket it was for 72 in a 70 in Oklahoma... I have been pulled over for speeding while I was getting passed... I had the out of state tags lol. It does happen, my uncle tells me that it's easier for people to just pay the ticket than come back and dispute the ticket which makes sense.

He's got a few doozy's as well... motorcycle cops "sending the dogs in..." at a home robbery is the one that makes me laugh uncontrollably when he tells it. Said the guy didn't even peek out the window and uttered a 4 letter word when he walked out and saw no dogs.

8. JBC

JBC Starter

Used the "send the dog!" Line myself a couple of times. We do have a German Sheppard k9, so criminals never know if he is there or not. One reason I always hated working traffic is I never felt like I was deterring crime when I was out there writing tickets. It always seemed to me it was more about revenue than public safety. If I stop a car I'm not just looking to write a ticket. The occupants of the car usually display some sort of nervous behavior that draws my attention, leading me to suspect they are involved in criminal activity.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

possibly they are just nervous about something... at test, job interview, ect...

getting questioned by authorities probably not gonna help that

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. JBC

JBC Starter

When you have worked in law enforcement for a number of years, you learn to read people's behavior. When someone has a warrant for their arrest, has just committed a burglary, is holding, etc, they will exhibit nervous behavior at the mere sight of an officer in a police car. they will also violate a traffic offense. That's when I make the traffic stop. I'm not in a patrol car anymore, as my vehicle is an undercover. Most of the stops I make end in an arrest. I haven't written a ticket this year, and don't care if I don't for the rest of the year. If someone was just nervous when they saw me and weren't committing a serious crime, I send them on their way with a warning for the traffic violation.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar