Former Titans GM Reese joins Patriots

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nine

Nine Starter

We've all seen the results of Reinfeldt's first draft; now let's see how the top picks of Floyd's first draft turned out.

1)DE Henry Ford (Solid but unremarkable player)
    2)DE Jeremy Nunley (0 career sacks, 12 games in 4 years)
    3)WR Malcom Seabron (0 career receptions)

http://www.theredzone.org/draft_history/showteam.asp?Team=Oilers

By comparison, both of Reinfeldt's first-round picks have been Pro Bowl caliber players. Chris Henry has already accomplished more than Jeremy Nunley ever did, and even Paul Williams' 1 career reception is more than they got out of Malcom Seabron.

You'll have to excuse me for not getting too sentimental about the golden age of Floyd Reese.....but if you ask me, those first couple years looked like crap.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Floyd had some really bad drafts, looking back. Believe it or not, unquestionably his best draft, IMO, was 2005.

1 6 Pacman Jones CB West Virginia
    2 41 Michael Roos T Eastern Washington
    3 68 Courtney Roby WR Indiana
    3 96 Brandon Jones WR Oklahoma
    4 108 Vincent Fuller DB Virginia Tech
    4 113 David Stewart T Mississippi State
    4 136 Roydell Williams WR Tulane
    5 142 Damien Nash RB Missouri
    5 150 Daniel Loper T Texas Tech
    6 179 Bo Scaife TE Texas
    7 218 Reynaldo Hill CB Florida

Say what you will, but we got 9 serious contributors out of this draft. Despite his problems, Adam Bernard contributed mightily when he could be on the field. Aside from him, though, Reese got our bookend tackles for the future, a 7th round CB who started for a while, a great value TE for the pick, the best nickle back we've had in some time, one WR who was our leading receiver last year, one that's still around contributing, and a nice backup for the LT and G spots. He finished strong.

The next best years are probably 2002 and, yes, 2006, followed by 2000. 1999 started great for three rounds, then went to heck.

I would say for MR, the 2007 draft is probably eventually going to give us 3 starters (Griffin, Harris, Ford), so that's not bad. CJ and JJ so far make the 2008 draft entirely worthwhile.

Here's another link; judge for yourself:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2100&type=team

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Reese had a streak from '01 to '04 where most of his early picks got hurt or were flat-out busts.

'01 - Dyson, Meier, McCareins
    '02 - T. Williams, Calmus, Echols, Beckham, Boiman
    '03 - Woolfolk, Calico, C. Brown, Long
    '04 - Troupe, LaBoy, Odom, Starks, Gardner, Schobel, Waddell

All those in the first four rounds.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Only a brain stem would complain about MR's drafting and signing of players.

His 2 first rd picks are pro bowl caliber studs griffin and johnson. In addition we have-Jones-ford-hayes-ball.

Stevens-hawkins-harris-keglar can all be at least good role players for us or more.

How can we judge stevens he had 2 vets playing ahead of him? That's moronic!

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

But even then many of those guys contributed at times.

Brown had a thousand yard season and an 800+ yard season.

Troupe had 850 yards receiving his first 2 years.

Tank williams was a solid starter until the knee.

Laboy and odom were not bad and combined to play very well in 07.

Starks and long were good #3 type DTs.

One could make the argument that if so many of these guys had not had bad luck with injuries that those drafts would have been alright. A lot of those guys did not have injury issues in college. Some of course did.

And of course jeff leaves off one 2002 pick an albert somebody?

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I've argued in defense of Reese before so I'll be brief.

1. Patriots are one of the best run organizations in football.
    2. Patriots recognized that Reese was a guy they could use after losing their GM.
    3. Patriots, a team with great CAP control choose Reese to handle contracts.

I'd put the judgement of the Pats organization well above most on this board. The Reese hire IMO proves the negative comments made about Reese are unfounded.

7. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I might be wrong about this, but I seem to remember maybe a year or 2 ago that the Titans made some big changes to their conditioning program for the offseason and camp. Jeff didn't say this was the reason, but it was after several seasons of excessive non-contact injuries. I'm not a Reese fan by any means, but not really for his draft picks - he certainly hit on some good ones, had a handful of just worthless picks, and I think he did get unlucky with some injuries.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That's ridiculous. So regardless of what Reese actually DOES in the next few years, his critics are wrong because the Pats hired him???

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

MR apologists:

Every good player we've got other than like...2 or 3 were brought in by Reese. And Reese hasn't drafted near as bad over his time as a GM as MR has.

Run a 4.3 as an RB at the combine and Reinfeldt will draft you. He got lucky with CJ.

People want to knock Reese using names like Calico and Pacman. Calico showed much promise, but was injured. Can't help that. He was a steal in the making. Pacman was FAR more talented than any of us would have ever guessed, and we found out. Unfortunately he was just too stupid to make anything of himself after a couple seasons.

Vince shouldnt be mentioned, because Reese wanted Cutler.

10. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Or maybe Reece got lucky with all the good picks he made? Seriously what a dismissal statement. Why not give him a little credit as opposed to just dismissing it as luck? Please. And for the record Calico blew and showed nothing. Besides I'm more pissed about Dyson over Moss and Woolfolk over anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar