Free agency: Day 1

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Jwill1919, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Defcon 3 is closest for me. I only expect bad things from this team, so I quit being alarmed 5 years ago.

Team has never had sustained success since 2003 (even that was short lived) so I don't expect them to change their ways now. If they do, that'd be great, but hopes are low. Raiders low. Browns low.

2. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Think about it like this... You as a fan don't even want to watch the team and constantly talk down on the organization. What makes you think big name players would want to play here?!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  3. Blue_Camo

Blue_Camo Starter

Picking up the phone today would be way to late. The problem runs deeper than that. Last year we move to a 3-4 D with obviously no plan on recruiting talent to play that scheme. About the same concept we have annually, we will have a great draft and pick all winners, think again.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Which IS the problem!!! You think he is a good GM because he called 12 agents in 3 days? Last time I checked his job performance has nothing to do with # of phone calls made...but rather what they do with their resources and the record of the team!!! How has he done with his actual criteria?

Poor.

Nonsense or no top players would be going to the Jags or Raiders or Dolphins...they are going to these places for the MONEY!!! The PROOF is right there!!!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. nickmsmith

Cannot argue with that. The draft is the only hope. It was obvious before yesterday.

If you don't draft well, no amount of FA signings can get you to the promised land. Especially when players would (presumably)rather retire than sign a free agent deal with said team.

Bad drafts have doomed. Warmack, schwenke, and lack of replacement for Roos or the other tackle position have killed the OLine. (Not even mentioning levitre or Oher) Lewan was a brainless automatic pick if a team was looking for a tackle at 11.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Blue_Camo

Blue_Camo Starter

An organization with a vision to sell and the money to put where their mouth is. We got money, missing vision and leadership.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

Nothing says we didn't. Just because you have the highest offer, the player doesn't have to take it. Maybe they didn't like our coach, maybe they didn't like Tennessee. Maybe they didn't want to come to a 2-14 team.

Could be lots of things. I just get tired of fans assuming we didn't pitch enough, or that we were being cheap. We could very well have tried to low ball them, but I highy doubt it with last years free agency.

9. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

No, Webster is not a good GM. But my point was that you make it sound like he doesn't even try to make the team better. The 12 phone calls thing was from mid day of the first tampering period day BTW.

You're right, sucky teams usually rack up a few big names with huge contracts. Guess what those teams have in common... They have big name players that are overpaid and underproduce and they still suck!

10. nickmsmith

Tell that to Jason Worilds. Pride is often worth more than money. Money hasn't really helped the Titans score any real stars in a good while. They'd have to double the salary cap to bribe the pants off some of these players. Can't remember the last established star the Titans signed. Givens? Eric Moulds trying to get one last paycheck out of his decrepit body?

They couldn't even give Manming part ownership to play for them.

Players want to say they played in a Super Bowl, or at least contended for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar