Free Agency Spending (We Have The Money)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

We pursued Peyton Manning and Bud Adams was willing to sign him which shows we have money to spend in free agency....

My question is.....

Do teams have to spend all their cap dollars or can a team just sit on the money and not hardly sign any players?

The thing i see here is a defense that needs fixing and i really don't see any attempt yet by our front office to do anything.

We could've gotten Wimbley but it looks like we let him leave.

I don't understand.If Adams was willing to sign Peyton to make us better then why isn't he signing some good players now?

We have the money,right?

2. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

the new CBA makes us spend 90% of our cap does it not?

we'll see a flurry of signings over the next couple of days.

3. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Front office couldnt. Hands were tied in case we were picked.

Now that the front office is running the show, instead of Bud, I fully expect them to do what they can.

Lets not forget, a few gems may be found after the draft too.

4. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

We brought in Kam Wimbley today for a visit

Will be signing 2-3 more quality players

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

No need to spend all of it. I believe you can now carry over cap money from one year to the next (provided you meet certain criteria).

The Titans probably aren't going to contend for a Super Bowl in 2012. They shouldn't spend money just for the sake of spending it.

And some of it should probably go towards extensions for players like Jason McCourty rather than going to free agents.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. TorontoTitanFan

Also, what good players do you think are out there? The Titans are going hard after the best defensive free agent on the market. What more do you want?

7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Guys we should look at:

Wimbley
    Bunkley
    Aaron Ross
    Garay
    Lardarius Webb
    Mark Anderson
    Aubrayo Franklin
    Andre Carter
    Samson Satele
    Jeff Saturday
    Dan Koppen
    Luis Castillo
    Pat Sims
    Marcus Trufant

We should sign 2-3 of those guys.

I'd say we should sign Wimbley, Trufant & Saturday or Koppen.

OL, DE & CB.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Why overpay for an average player? Then be stuck with him, and his large contract... we've done it before (like Chris Hope) and it turned out bad.

Hopefully we can just draft strong. Because our FO isn't going to overpay.

9. TorontoTitanFan

The Titans will surely look at some of those players, but why rush? Just take your time and wait for the players' demands to come down to a reasonable level.

The worst thing the Titans could do is sign a bunch of inflated contracts what will hurt the cap down the road because the team is upset about missing out on Manning. The team can't present itself as desperate or it will give away all its bargaining power.

The Titans front office has proven to be fairly good at finding value guys later in free agency. Let them do their thing and don't stress if it takes a while to play out.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We do NOT have to spend that 90% until 2013, so this year we could just sit here with money and do nothing.

If no acquisitions are made, we might as well lock up certain guys like McCourty and Verner. They're free agents next year and 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar