Free Agent Safeties..aka biggest need

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by avespucci, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avespucci

avespucci Practice Squad

After watching every game this season and watching our defense rank dead last in points allowed to our opponents, I'm ready to see us upgrade our defense. Our front seven improved over the year and I feel really isn't that bad of a unit. Our tandem of McCourtey/Verner isn't the best in the league but not exactly a major hole.

That brings me to safety... I got sick to my stomach watching our inability to tackle or for our safeties to deliver anything that resembled a big hit. After watching the safety plan of teams like the Niners/Ravens, I see a world of difference between us and them.

As if it was meant to be there are several really good safeties who are UnRestricted Free Agents: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-safeties/

My 3 LOVE TO HAVE are Byrd, Moore, & Goldson.

What do you think?

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I am still very intrigued by LaRon Landry. He's still just a year removed from a pretty severe Achilles injury, which is a red flag for sure, but it also might mean that he comes at a bit of a discount. He's still only 28 and he was on the verge of being a big-time player before he got hurt a few seasons ago.

Landry is never going to be great in coverage, but he is a monster physically and he hits like a truck. Could be an ideal SS if the Titans could ever find a ball-hawking FS in the Ed Reed mold to cover deep. I hesitate to say this, but maybe Griffin (who I think will be back) is best-used in that role?

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Jairus Byrd will likely get franchise tagged. He should of been a pro-bowler. But the Bills using the tag on him may allow us to get Andy LeVitre.

Dashon Goldson, I could also see him getting the tag. 49ers have the $ to sign him outright though. Can't see him leaving a SB contender for a 6-10 football team, but money talks.

Moore - don't really know enough about him to be honest

4. avespucci

avespucci Practice Squad

I've been a big Landry fan for years and agree about his ability. The injury bug has always been there with him though which scares me

5. avespucci

avespucci Practice Squad

could see those guys getting the tag as well... but hoping they don't and we can sneak in one of them.

Moore is having a great year in Atlanta and is a hard hitter as well which I love.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Safety is a huge need for sure, and getting a good SS is the key here.

Griffin sucks, but he's serviceable when he's surrounded by talent. So surround him with talent by getting a good SS.

7. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Honestly I think the best coarse to take is to get a decent safety rather then breaking the bank on a guy like Byrd. If I'm the Titans I'd take a look at guys like Chris Clemons and Patrick Chung.

8. Marko

Marko Starter

Pat Chung wouldnt be a major upgrade I dont think. If we had someone who could make a tackle in the middle of the field it would be a bonus. It was embarrassing last year seeing all those missed tackles.

9. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I've got an idea, let's put the Franchise Tag on Griffin again. How did that work for ya?
    I knew we were headed backwards when we made that move.

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Can't believe I'm saying anything even remotely positive about le Vagician, but I agree with you. He'll definitely be back. No question about that. No way FO admits they majorly F'd up so soon. Would make them look pretty real bad to cut a guy they just gave a $35m contract to after only one year.

But back to your point, if we could get a hard-hitting SS to give opposing receivers something to think about AND start getting consistent pressure from the DL then I think Griffin could be plenty serviceable at the FS spot. That said, we still overpaid big time. Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar