From Our Friend Paul; About Our Titans.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JimmyTitan, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyTitan

JimmyTitan Starter

As of Monday the Tennessee Titans have $10,737,702 in salary cap room, without factoring in their deal with kick returner Leon Washington.

That’s a nice chunk of change -- and there is another $6 million to be saved when the Chris Johnson divorce happens.

Numerous readers have asked me, if the Titans are in such good shape, why not keep Johnson?

If you are paying too much for something, do you keep paying it just because you have the money to do so?

That doesn’t seem to qualify as smart spending to me.

As for the $10.7 million -- it doesn’t have to be burning a hole in their pocket. They can spend some now as they see fit, and save some and carry it over to 2015. They can spend it then on premier people.

Teams have to spend 89 percent of their cap dollars over four years spanning from 2013 to 2016.

The Titans still have plenty of time to do that.

And let’s remember that some of it’s going to go to core players they want to re-sign, presumably Jurrell Casey and Kendall Wright with them hoping for more to emerge.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Jimmy creates another thread

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Paul is not our friend and neither is Jimmy

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. ThatTitansGuy

ThatTitansGuy Starter

I like this Jimmy guy. Keep up the hilarious threads Jimmy.

5. JimmyTitan

JimmyTitan Starter

I will respond to my own post since it really wasn't mine to begin with.....

Let's face it. It's a rare thing that the Titans spend any kind of "big" money to retain their core players on a year to year basis. Johnson signed his "mega-deal" a few years ago, and is about to say his goodbyes. We singed McCourty to a long term kind of "mega-mini" deal and didn't even sniff at retaining the better corner in Verner, with McCourty not even having one interception last year and hardly making as many tackles he made when he was a playing the nickle. Some will say that's because Verner got more attention and McCourty was thrown to less, but...c'mon....

Kamerion Wimbley is still on a roster being paid over $6 Million Dollars, our best kicker and corner back have been released and lost. I don't see Casey even staying in a Titans uniform after next year, unless a miracle happens and Kendal Wright...well, let's just enjoy him while he last too....

IF Johnson becomes another famous Titan "has-been", who is going to run the ball and run the ball with much more production than 1077 and 6-8 TD's over a 4.0 average this up and coming season....??? Greene....McCluster....??? Some draft pick that will probably not be a Tre Mason or even Dri Archer...??? Not that Archer did that much in college outside of his great speed....

Keep Johnson for at the very least this season Whisenhunt, (not that your listening)....show the fan base what you could do that Munchak and Matthews couldn't with CJ in your offensive systems you ran in San Diego, Arizona Pittsburgh....the Titans are saving barely $4.0 Million by releasing him now....we can't keep moving forward by always taking five steps back in regards to what is, "best for the team."

IF, and I mean IFFFF, the Titans would've signed Ben Tate for the money he was signed for in Cleveland....I could accept the Johnson loss and hardly lose much sleep over it.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Jimmy's feeling pretty upset.

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 5
  7. ThatTitansGuy

ThatTitansGuy Starter

After the first sentence I didn't read further because of the tl;dr factor and that you admited to plagiarizing! C'MON MAN!

8. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

I agree with you in part. There's no point in cutting CJ if we aren't going to put that money we save to good use. I wouldn't go after Ben Tate though, we'd be going from durable CJ to injury prone Tate. Greene and McCluster will give us a good 2/3, but neither of them are franchise RBs. I'd be interested to see how CJ could perform in a non-Munchak based offense. Since Whiz is an offensive guy, I'm surprised he doesn't seem to be considering keeping him.

Bottom line: If we don't use the 6 million we save well, there's no point in cutting him.

9. ThatTitansGuy

ThatTitansGuy Starter

NB4.. "yeah. bu.bu..but running back by committee"

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Because Chris Johnson sucks. That's why.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar