From the View of a Jets Fan

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jets526, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jets526

jets526 Camp Fodder

Hey guys,

I decided to post a little overview of the upcoming game from a Jets fans perspective just to help your guys discussion of the game and hopefully help mine. I am unsure of what to think about this game. The media is playing it up as a trap game for the Jets (which it has the potential to be) as the Titans are going to do everything in their power to not move to 0-3. However, there are a few reasons that the "trap game" thing won't come into effect on Sunday. First, we are playing at home. If we had this game on the road I would be much more worried about a letdown. Second, this new Jets philosophy (especially on defense) seems to be that they don't really care about the "trap games" or stuff like that. The defense just seems hungry. They want the chance to knock down the QB and hold the offense to as little yards as possible. I know that sounds stupid and obvious but its just a new mindset on this team that hasn't been seen in as long as I have been a fan.

As for the game itself, I expect a very similar game to the one we just played against the Pats. I expect both teams to be under 20 points and there should be a lot of punts back and forth. However, I am a little more confident this week than I was last because Kerry Collins is no Tom Brady. Brady has always killed us and I never thought we would hold him to 9 points. Our defense will come out attacking and will hope to knock down Collins as many times as possible in the early going. Look for blitzes on any down with any number of people coming. On 4th and 10 in the 4th quarter on the Patriots last play Rex Ryan was still sending 8 people on a blitz. If we can rattle Collins the same way we did Brady I think we have an excellent chance of winning this game. The one thing I am concerned about is your running game. We have yet to see a rusher get going against our defense so I don't know how the blitz schemes and such will change if a guy starts rushing for 4+ yards a carry consistently. However, as long as Jenkins is feeling good I think we can shut down the run game pretty well. As far as your passing game, Darelle Revis will take out your best receiver. (who I believe is Gage, but correct me if I'm wrong) Revis has evolved into one, if not the best, corner in the league and has shut down Randy Moss and Andre Johnson in two consecutive weeks. He his fun to watch and he has the ability to stop receivers by jamming them at the line as well as covering them with his feet. My only concern is the running game and if it gets going I am a little nervous about how the defense will react.

As far as us on offense, we need to attack your secondary and open up the field much earlier than we did last week. The Jets offense didn't really open up until the second half last week (Sanchez had 5 throws in the first half) and once it did there were more running lanes and many more points. We are going to have a tough time running against your defense and I expect us to come out with a lot of screen plays (bubble screens to Stuckey on the outside and other screens to Washington) which will hopefully neutralize a little bit of your pass rush. Cotchery has been very good so far and I believe is the 5th leading receiver in either the league or the AFC. (Terrible stat there but I don't feel like looking it up) Leon Washington is the man to watch for. He will get 20 touches in this game (including kickoffs) and look for him to play a huge factor in this game.

I think the Jets will win this game if we play the same way we played the first two. This is not me being arrogant but our defense has been smothering and our offense has been more than competent. It's also nice that we are playing at home. Like I said, if we were playing away I would tip the scales in your favor.

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Your defense will show up, but you have a Qb only playing his 3rd game. So our offense is not a sure thing.

3. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Welcome aboard 526.
    You have made some very good points that I can't argue with.
    However, you have to remember this...1. you played the Texans. 2. You played a Pats team with a very different Brady from 2007. The Bills almost beat them. 3. You have a rookie QB. No matter how good they are, they're still a rookie.
    That said, If you watched any of the Titans/Texans game you would see that our secondary pretty much just didn't show up. They were out of place, earned several boneheaded penalties and were freelancing too much. Griffin jumping on the PA/run play alone cost us a TD when Andre ran right by him.
    This Sunday you can expect a coaching staff ensuring to the utmost ability, their players execute properly. You can expect our secondary to be hungry for redemption of their lackluster play in a humiliating loss last week.
    You can expect CJ to want to outdo his performance that was tarnished by a loss.
    You can also expect an angry D line to be coming after Dirty Sanchez.

Now if we play like we did the first two weeks, this win should be easy for you. Protecting Filthy Sanchez will also be a priority for you, as our D line is going to still be seething from last week. Hopefully Fisher will wise the f### up and activate more D linemen this week (that was stupid of him to only activate 3).

If we get it together, it should make for a good game. If we don't, expect a game like last week.

4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Great Post Jets fan! I couldn't agree with you more based on the first 2 games so far. We played really well defensively against Pittsburgh only to be torched and exposed against Houston whom you guys totally owned.

Sanchez is a superstar QB in the making. I didn't think much of him coming out of USC but I am not too proud to say that I was wrong about this kid. He can flat out ball. True he is still a rookie so there will be some growing pains, but he has been really impressive. Revis has also been way impressive. Like you mentioned, he shut down both Randy Moss and Andre Johnson. Give the man his due credit.

Coming into this weekends matchup, you guys definitely have every advantage over us. You're at home, you're working on a streak, have some momentum, and we are reeling from 2 very disappointing losses. Kerry has been Leftwich like with his immobility. CJ is a beast and he is our not-so-secret weapon. He gives a chance.

You can however expect our entire gameplan to be morphed into its old form. We will grind it out with the run. Control the TOP, totally shut down any running game you guys might like to have, and take all of this pent up aggression out on y'alls rookie QB. We didn't get to tear into Schaub like we wanted to so that means trouble for Sanchez.

All in all, while y'all have the advantages in this one, I expect this to be one of the better games of the week. We will both come out incredibly hungry and eager to set this one off. I know that last year was last year, but we y'all still owe us one for ending our shot at perfection. We will return the favor.

5. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I haven't watched any Jets games. I know the Jets play us hard and expect them to do the same this time around.
    I don't believe in rookie QBs. I wonder when his luck will run out. What happens to the Jets when it does?
    I haven't checked the point spread on this game yet, but I figure the Titans will get atleast +3 for being on the road.

6. yanek27

yanek27 Starter

It doesnt matter who is QB when it comes to the Titans. If we do not get pressure anyone can sit back there and go off on us. Last year we got destroyed by NY Jets and even though Favre is gone, I dont expect anything different playing at NY. My guess we will be 0-3 but thats why they play the games. I expect the Jets to run a little with Jones and Washington and Keller is going to probably come up big on offense. I also know our offense will NOT be able to run the ball and everything will be in the hands of Collins. Looks scary, but even when the season started I knew this was one game we are not going to win. Jets 24-7 over the Titans. As a Titans fan, I really dont know what to think after last week. You just had a feeling during that game the Texans were going to win in the end and sure enough they did. For crying out loud we dont even have a punter for this game. I dont get how the Jets are only favored by 2 for the spread, I thought 6-7 forsure.

7. jets526

jets526 Camp Fodder

I have to say that I am impressed with the comments back after my same kind of post on the Pats board last week was riddled with insults about how Revis could never touch Moss and how Sanchez would play like a rookie. Anyway, much more thought out responses here. I'm not sure about your rules on posting other websites but if you guys are interested in talking to Jets fans about the game head over to forums.theganggreen.com. I have been posting over there for a few years and its a great site. Just don't act like an idiot because people are very harsh.

Anyway, there is no way we should/will be favored by more than 3 points. Our defense has played amazing but our offense is still lagging behind and you guys have a great defense. Responding to BigTimeTitan, I expect the same kind of gameplan from you guys. However, I expect we will try the same thing (at least in the first half). Both teams will try to grind it out with the run and hope their defenses can get their jobs done.

I think that we will do a good job of protecting Sanchez. Our offensive line has morphed into one of the best in the league over the last two years and Sanchez has great mobility in the pocket. The one thing that continues to surprise me about him is his feet and how he seems to just sidestep the pressure while keeping his eyes down field. Everyone talks about the rookie slump but for some reason I don't see that ever coming with this guy. Sure, he will have some off weeks like every NFL quarterback but I don't expect a bad stretch from him. The team around him is too talented to allow that to happen.

As far as playing the Texans and the Pats without 2007 Brady all I have to say is that both offenses will still be great this year. People are down on Brady right now but he will come back strong and will make the AFC East a great race this year. As far as the Texans, I'm not really sure what to say. I think they were a little rusty Week 1 but I also don't think they matched up well against us at all. I expect them to have a huge offensive year though.

Should be a great game on sunday.

8. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Well we here on gotitans.com are a friendly, intelligent bunch. except jesse, he scares me lol

9. tdo_52

tdo_52 Camp Fodder

Good post Jets but IMHO I believe this is our game!

We need this more and our team will be hungry for our first win of the season, I believe Fisher will be all over the defense this week trying to get our defense back on track! Our secondary needs to worry about their own jobs and play sound and if we do all this I believe we handle the Jets easy and make everyone in the NFL know Tennessee isn't going to lay down! I believe we started slow but we'll get hot and I hope it starts this weekend!

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

That's hilarious. That's like saying the Browns better watch out for the Steelers. That's a trap game!

You guys didn't even make the playoffs last year. "Trap games" don't exist for you.

And I don't mean that to be a diss, but really. It's like saying whoever is playing USC better watch out, because that's a trap game. Doesn't work like that. We're assumed to be the better team by 99%, I'd guess. And if not- somethings wrong. Even with the crappy play so far... you guys haven't established yourselves to be a contender yet.

Again, not trying to insult you because other than this - you seemed like a nice/informed fan.

But trap games don't exist for mediocre teams unless you're playing the Lions or someone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar