Fuller over Hope

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by avespucci, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

What makes anyone think that Fuller would be better at safety than Hope? Have we seen Fuller play safety in the regular season?

The secondary is working as it is right now, why change it?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

^^He's certainly better now than he was at tackling. It's his size that concerns me with putting him at safety, but the dude is a football player no matter where he's lining up.

3. avespucci

avespucci Practice Squad

Right the secondary's working as it is.. the question is what happens when JMac comes back?

Consensus is that everyone is excited and encouraged by the play of Verner. Not only that, the coaches and fans want to see more of him

Barring Fish changing his typical stance.. Verner's going back to the bench when JMac returns. We currently have a great player Fuller (a safety) playing nickel cornerback.

Now that it appears we have three bonafide corners (Finny/JMac/Verner) does Fuller go back to his true position of safety.. and if so does he potentially start over Hope?

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I think you're creating a situation that isn't even an option. IF Fisher decides to put McCourty back in the starter's spot then Verner goes back to being the top backup at CB and NB.

I will say this, I don't think Verner loses the job. The competition was close during camp and the preseason and he hasn't done anything to justify being put back on the bench.

People will point to Fisher following the "starters don't lose their job to injury" rule, but McCourty was a starter for three games. It's not like he was an entrenched guy like Eddie George or Bruce Matthews.

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

This is just a creative situation. Verner was already a close 2nd after pre-season and everyone says Fisher goes with the vets but it's not like J-Mac is one anyway. Verner has done a great job so far and is one of the most exciting players on the team already. Hope is going to remain the starter and if he does go down Fuller takes over. If anything the team will address the situation in the off season. Hope doesn't have many years left on this team after this year, if any. There is no need to mess up what we have going now.

6. avespucci

avespucci Practice Squad

I agree with all above in theory, but still anticipate Fish benching Verner and the backlash that will follow.

As for Fuller not being able to play safety, we're all not around practices/training camp but there's got to be a valid reason he continues to be listed as safety and not corner.

Size wise he's "LISTED" as similar measurables as Hope:

Hope: 6'0 204lbs
    Fuller: 6'1 192lbs

I obviously take that with a grain of salt.. but not like he's half the size as Hope.

7. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

Hope is by far our best DB at coming up and stopping the run. Obviously, he's average or below in pass coverage.

I don't think we have another player who can come in and bring what Hope brings to the table. We obviously value his run-stopping ability as run-stopping is our priority.

8. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I agree Hope is on the decline. To me since JMc has good speed why not plug him in at Hope's position and keep Verner where he is?

Are we weak enough at safety that we'll use a early round pick on one next draft, or do they like RoJo and Myron?

9. Banger21

Banger21 Camp Fodder

Hope is fine, he made one dumb play against the Broncos that cost us a "W". Sucks big time but he is still an above average SS in the NFL IMO. He is great against the run and also causes QB problems when the Titans blitz him off the edge.

That list of DB's is a good problem to have. We have one extra and its not Mouton, thank god. If anything we can give a guy a series off or a snap here or there to keep them fresher. Chasing down WR's in the NFL is no easy task and DB's get hurt all the time. Whoever is the odd man out from a "starting" standpoint when McCourty comes back, they will still see plenty of the field and not go to waste.

10. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Huh? yer kidding, right? I think we are ranked 27th in passing right now......We've allowed 3-300 plus yard QB's in a row (Romo over 400).

You think it's working? Really?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar