Fun With DirecTV

Discussion in 'Gear' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I was wondering if anyone had connected usb from their direct tv dvr to a PC. I've noticed the DirecTV unit it has a usb. I'd like the ability to capture and burn dvds... I just don't want to toy around with it yet without some kind of expectation.

Puck, SK... I was really hoping for you guys to give me a little input. I know you both deal with MACs and mine is a PC but I'd love any advice.

Also, let me make clear I'm talking about DirecTV's standard DVR.

DIRECTV PLUS DVR

2. I actually use Windows primarily, but that's neither here nor there. I just prefer Macs.

I've never tried using the USB. I know DTV disabled the USB port on their TiVos in the past, but I'm not sure if the USB port on their own box does anything.

You might check this forum out:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

if it's anything like Comcast DVR's, the USB / Ethernet etc... ports are not enabled ...... fwiw, Dish Network's DVR's (for a nominal fee) allowed for external Hard Drive connection

if all you need to do is burn DVD's off your DVR, I'd simply hook a DVD-Recorder to the S-Video out of your DirecTV DVR, which should still pass signal out the Component/HDMI (at least it does mine)

I've stopped DVD recordings altogether, because I found I just don't watch them

4. The ethernet port was originally disabled, but it works now. Same for the xSATA port and the OTA antenna port. They rushed out the box with minimal features (as well as minimal bug testing) but pushed software updates over time.

I just don't know about USB.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

what purpose does the ethernet serve ?
    is it just for firmware updates or are we talking streaming here ?

and the OTA .. any chance that records to DVR ?

:irked: dangit, if they'd just let me have 2

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I hooked my Mom's Toshiba DVD-R up to a Comcast DVR via s-video. I'm not going to dive into Blu-Ray anytime soon... so until my current set DVD player goes south, (which it inevitably will)... I'm not going to be buying a DVD-R... however... 1080p upconversion would be nice... Thanks for the link to the forum. I will take a look at that.

7. The ethernet cable lets you stream video to and from a PC (my PC can't read from the box) and it also gets OnDemand over the internet.

And yes, the OTA antenna can be used to record on the DVR, though I don't have one. I pay for the local channels on DTV.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

a tuner box (whether it be cable or sat) that supports streaming from PC ?
    interesting

9. Well, it only read mpeg files (because that's what it records), but yes. Good way to play PC content on a TV (though I can't make it work for me).

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

speaking of streaming, I tried out both 360connect (for xbox360) and Twonkyvision (for ps3)

360connect is a little more straight forward and streamed mp3 and avi fairly well, I just hate the 360's music player as I still haven't figured out how to FF or REW the dang thing, it was also kind of a pain to set up

Twonky works great for Ps3 streaming and it handled WMV well along with mp3 /mp4 / avi, etc... probably does divx too ,all mine are .avi. they all play great and the quality is actually pretty dang satisfactory, better than some of my digital comcast channels even

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar